1985 Doubled Die?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by NewCollectorRick, Apr 26, 2017.

1. NewCollectorRick

NewCollectorRick Active Member

Could not find example of doubled 1985 cent so here we go. I know my eyes are that blurry. 0426172148c.jpg 0426172136.jpg 0426172134b.jpg 0426172135a.jpg 0426172134.jpg 0426172147a_HDR.jpg 0426172148.jpg

Looks like strong doubling on both sides but I'm the rookie. The date also looks like its covering what used to be much larger date possibly??

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I'd have to say no, but is based only upon what I can see (which, admittedly, isn't as much as I'd like). As for the appearance of what may seem a larger underlying date, this can often be caused by die deterioration, but again, I can't see well enough to say for sure it's the case here. Perhaps tomorrow, if needed, I'll check it out on a larger screen.

NewCollectorRick likes this.
  4. NewCollectorRick

Talk about discouraging. Ha. I had this thing next to that 72 you helped me with the other day and the reverse of this 85 seemed to have the same defined 2nd letter on a few spots. I think I'lll take a break from looking at anything new for a while and do more reading. Not trying to waste anyone's time with repeat duds.
    Thanks for looking Books. You are always very helpful.

Brina likes this.
  5. billy b

billy b Active Member

You will never know,if you don't ask.

scoutshouse and NewCollectorRick like this.
  6. NewCollectorRick

I saw the coin on accident because I thought the 5 was a 3. Thinking it was a 1983 I looked at the reverse. After I got the response I looked at another 1985 cent and saw the same thing. From now on I will reference same year coins as well as the online sources.

Stevearino likes this.
  7. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

I can't see any doubling on your photos,
    but if there is, it's mechanical/ejection doubling;

8. NewCollectorRick

Yeah I realized what I was looking at was common to this coin and nothing at all. I should have looked at other 85s prior. Do you have any experience with grading. I have a mercury dime in pretty good condition and the edge is near perfect. I don't know when you get to the stage of needing to have something graded by a company.

9. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

When thinking about sending something to a certification service, you need to keep in mind what it would be worth in different grades. For most common coins, such as late date Mercury dimes, the certification cost far outweighs the value of the coin.

10. NewCollectorRick

Got ya. That's what I was looking at. I was trying to find the best place for the buck to send coins to have them certified. I see coins on eBay that are just lower end $30-100 coins in slabs but all the sites I've found are $10 or more per coin so hardly seems worth it like you said.
    This is the coin I was referring to. Just want to put guesstimate grade for my collection. I was thinking somewhere between VF25 and EF45 but I've been wrong about all of my so called errors. Edge is crisp all the way around. Opinions please and thanks. 0427171147.jpg 0427171145_HDR.jpg 0427171149.jpg 0427171149d.jpg 0427171152.jpg 0427171153c.jpg 0427171154b.jpg 0427171153b.jpg

11. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

The lines in the fasces make it closer to the XF mark. The reason you see lower-value coins in slabs on eBay and elsewhere is that the owner probably sent in a large number of the same coin hoping that at least one of them would get a high enough grade to make the exercise economically feasible. Then the ones that didn't reach the stratosphere are dumped for whatever they'll bring even though it's probably less than the coin cost to be certified.

12. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

A large number also come from poor submissions as well. Sometimes it's a gamble, a need to fill out a submission, pure ignorance, etc, etc, and since the TPGs do not exist for collector enjoyment and are not a friend, they're more than happy to take the money.

13. NewCollectorRick

Yeah I kind of thought so on some of that. I saw the memberships where you can send a larger number of coins and they will only grade the ones at the low mark you put and up.
    I dont think ill be sending much but I did recently get a confirmation on here that I had 1972 ddo-004. Would you send it in or does it hold about the same value since its such a well known ddo. I have no plans of selling atm but who knows what the future holds.

14. NewCollectorRick

I said I was done searching and just going to read and try to learn and understand what causes certain types of doubling. I still couldn't help but to pull the loupe out and look at my change.
    Total was 7.99 and got 1c back so wasn't much to play with but I got this of course. Something to make me scratch my head again. Its not a known ddo so I'm sure something else causing the doubled look. Heavy on the date and liberty. Noticeable on all lettering but Trust more prominent up top. 0427171731b.jpg 0427171732a.jpg 0427171732b.jpg 0427171733a.jpg 0427171735a.jpg 0427171737b.jpg

15. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Mercury keeper. In nice condition

Draft saved Draft deleted