1985 DDO variety vista maybe?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Jessica L McClellan, Jan 20, 2020.

1. So I have a 1985 Lincoln and I'm struggling comparing it to variety vista like I see the die scratch marks from the N in cent on obverse side and some others but if it is one of the varieties please help. I also see on IN GOD the G looks weird and the D in God deff looks double. I'm trying to learn . Please help picture_2020_1_20_1_59_1_530.jpg picture_2020_1_20_2_4_20_917~2.jpg picture_2020_1_20_1_59_1_530.jpg picture_2020_1_20_2_4_20_917~2.jpg picture_2020_1_20_2_0_46_729.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Worn Die Strike.
    Die Deterioration issue.
    Not a Doubled die variety IMHO.

4. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I also do not think your coins is a DDO.
    I am not seeing the die scratch on the N of CENT on your coin. It may be just the lighting in your photo. Your coin will have to match perfectly with the photos on VV to be a DDO-001
    Your photo do not give enough detail to make a positive ID. You would have to provide zoomed in photos like the ones on VV.

5. Wintry Mix

Wintry Mix Member

BTW, just so you know, "CENT" is on the Reverse, not the Obverse.

6. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

First of all,
    look at that long ridge going through the IN and GOD.
    That raised ridge / hump is called a Ridge Ring.
    A Ridge Ring is indicative of Die Deterioration.
    When it goes through lettering, usually the IGWT and left side of LIBERTY, also of the date and mint mark ....
    you'll see oddities that look like doubling, or raised sections (from the Ridge Ring).
    upload_2020-1-20_14-11-38.png

It's actually easier to identify errors and varieties *after* you also learn about die deterioration, minting process, etc. Otherwise any "oddity" people think are related to an error/variety actually aren't.

Also, *always* show the entire Front and Rear of the coin ... like, all of it not some or most of it. I don't even know what year this coin is .. but it's probably a zincoln.

I highlighted the outer edges of the Ridge Ring here, but it goes further right and goes down through LIBERTY too.
    upload_2020-1-20_14-21-12.png

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted