1985 D Quarter error

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by thepuzzler1, Jun 30, 2011.

1. thepuzzler1

thepuzzler1 New Member

I found this quarter in a roll i was searching through. On the obverse there are two cuts on each side that curve from the word LIBERTY at the top to the 1985 on the bottom. The curvature matches the rim perfectly and im nearly positive that this is not from circulation. Also the edge bulges upward on the reverse, but i think this is from circulation.
    IMG_1673-1.jpg Notice the cuts running along the left and right edges of the coin's obverse. The lines dont run through the date or LIBERTY but they touch the edges.
    IMG_1675-1.jpg This is the bulge. It appears to be dropped from a great height or something but i just want to make sure.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. thepuzzler1

thepuzzler1 New Member

By the way these cuts are extremely easy to see in person but i couldnt post a higher res picture :(

4. thepuzzler1

thepuzzler1 New Member

I found another quarter of the same year and mint mark and it has the same mark but only on 1 side and not nearly as distinct.

5. eric0911

eric0911 SMS-71

The rim bump is what you thought. The I can't see the cuts, but from the description it sounds like rolling machine damage

6. thepuzzler1

thepuzzler1 New Member

Is that anything special? Sorry but im fairly new to coin collecting

7. zach24

zach24 DNSO 7070 71 pct complete

No, if anything it detracts from value.

8. GJ1103

GJ1103 coin addicted Navy man

I agree that it is likely from a rolling machine.

9. Taylor101

Taylor101 New Member

10. AFVet1982

AFVet1982 New Member

I'm new to collecting and I have a similar situation with a 1967 quarter (photos below). There appears to be an arc on both sides of the coin that runs from the "Y" in "Liberty" almost to the ribbon (right side of coin) and from the "L" in "Liberty" to a point even with Washington's chin (left side, not pictured). Since it was so uniform, I didn't think it would be post-mint damage, but after reading this post, perhaps it is. It appears that the coin would grade out at EF-40, but I could be mistaken on that. Any advice, opinions and inputs are appreciated, thanks.

Philip

67 Qtr Arc Detail.jpg 67 Qtr w-Arc Obv.jpg 67 Qtr w-Arc Rev.jpg

11. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

Average circulation wear. Nothing out of the normal. And that "line" you see running down the right (obverse) side of the coin is most likely coin-roll friction from rubbing against other quarters in a bank roll. There're no errors...

-Brian

12. Taylor101

Taylor101 New Member

Hi brian! :smile

13. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

Hello, Taylor. :) ... Lol.

-Brian

14. Taylor101

Taylor101 New Member

Did you get me question? Do you have any new videos, an did you enter the stacking contest...I uploaded my first video!

15. Joeydd

Joeydd New Member

I have a 1985 d quarter where the rim looks like two halves of a quarter put together

16. tomfiggy

tomfiggy Well-Known Member

It is best to start a new thread about your coin, and post pics. Without a decent pic no one can help you.

Draft saved Draft deleted