1985 d Lincoln cent

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jjpe, Dec 2, 2022.

1. Jjpe

Jjpe Well-Known Member

I know this1985 d Lincoln cent is zinc. And from what I've learned from you people zinc sucks. I can see why but this cent has , which appears to be metal to me is right on the mint mark also between the eight and the five on the date. I know zinc is notorious for bubbles lines peeling and whatever else zinc does. I'm trying to understand the mint mark has had punched I believe they didn't stop that until 1990. Is it possible the d broke and a piece lodged in the coin and the dot between the eight and the five is a die chip. As always thanks again Merry Christmas IMG_20221201_070426347.jpg IMG_20221201_063825308.jpg IMG_20221201_081411533.jpg IMG_20221201_063821293.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Looks like a plating blister. Either that or a die chip. You could poke it with a wood toothpick. If it is a blister, it will pop. I wouldn't do that if you think you want to keep it as is.

4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I agree plating blister there is also one between the 8 and 5.

john-charles likes this.
  5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Looks like just part of his beard to me anyways. ;)

john-charles likes this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

They are plating blisters from the copper coating. If you poke them they will more than likely burst and then it starts to rot.

7. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Zincs stinks.

PamR likes this.
  8. Jjpe

Jjpe Well-Known Member

I'm going to poke it I'll let you know what happens thanks

Draft saved Draft deleted