1985 d dimes

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by rootintootin 55, Jan 12, 2019.

1. rootintootin 55

rootintootin 55 Active Member

I have several 85 d dimes that all seem to have problems here are two of them. notice how close the mint mark is to the date on one but not the other . while the other one the I in in and the w in we are hardly readable. and the close mint mark the five is flattened .is this a common thing and what would cause these differences thumbnail85d2.jpg thumbnail85 d.jpg thumbnail 85d1.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

That's nothing.
    In Philly, they punch the mint mark into the dies for all 3 mints by hand. So it's not always going to be in the exact same position.

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

As stated.. Hand Punched into the Die. Not always in the same position.

5. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

Mintmarks were hand punched into the die. Not an error.

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

You need to read more of the topics posted! Both of these subjects appeared as posts from novice collectors just within the last few days.

Chris

7. rootintootin 55

rootintootin 55 Active Member

Chris for your information I do read a lot of post I guess i just missed the ones you are referring to . but I have no apology for being a new collector or novice as you put it . if you don't want to answer questions I might have don't. but Im sure when you be came interested in collecting you had questions for your lack of knowledge on the many ,many aspects of collecting at the time that you started .so if I have offended you I apologize

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted