1985 $20 FRN missing third printing.

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by jackeen, Feb 22, 2015.

1. jackeen

jackeen Senior Member

I have a 1985 $20 FRN that is missing the third printing. It's not albino, it's just not there. It is from position H2, meaning it was in the last row of the second column. The left and top margins were cut with scissors, the right and bottom margins were machine cut.
    I conclude that this note was hand cut from a flawed half sheet of partially printed $20's that was meant to destroyed, but was instead stolen from the BEP. As it didn't receive a third printing, it was a lower security item than a fully printed, flawed sheet, so it was easier to steal.
    Has anybody else seen a note like this, or has advice as to how to document it?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

What Steve said

tommyc03 likes this.
  5. jackeen

jackeen Senior Member

Scans of previously referenced note.

$20.JPG
    $20 rev.JPG

6. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

Very cool note! I do not believe you would be able to prove your theory. I would think the BEP would have some record of what was rejected but I would also assume that they would not be able to prove it came from a rejected sheet. Someone could have cut down a normal size note for some bizarre reason. Is the widest and longest parts of the note bigger than a standard note?

Thanks for sharing

7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

8. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

9. jackeen

jackeen Senior Member

The widest parts, horizontal and vertical, are slightly larger than the stated sizes, but not enough to be statistically significant.
    I agree that my hypothesis cannot be proven, and so cannot be factored into the value of the note. I do think it's correct, though.

10. jackeen

jackeen Senior Member

Ok, don't know how to interact correctly with this board's eccentric reply function.

Draft saved Draft deleted