1985 $20 bill

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Coinlover, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Coinlover

Coinlover The Coin Collector

my mom stopped at the bank earlier today and got some money out of the atm. when she got home, she remebered she owed me $10. so she pulled out her money she got out of the atm and i saw a old style poking out!:eek:hya: i said let me have this one, and i gave her $10. i have now a 1985 $20 bill!:cool: i like these old style bills alot. its pretty faded in the middle. and you have to look pretty closly for the series. weird thing about it is that its really worn looking, but is still crisp! :confused: i think it got washed in a washing machine. i know old style bills do not have the watermark or ghost of the presedent, but this bill dosn't have one of those secirity strips!:eek: i have 2 1995 $5 bills and a 1995 $10 bill and they both have those strips. is this normal? i checked it with my counterfiet pen and it shows that it is good. this is my first old style $20!:kewl: i have the 5, 10 now 20 old style!:p i checked it and it was printed august 1989. well, thanks everyone!:D

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

Might be a good find as it sounds by the description that there may have been some inking issues. If the note (bill) is still crisp yet faded it's always a possibility.

NOW, PLEASE do me a favor. Throw away the counterfeit pen! Using a "counterfeit" pen on currency is like taking a knife to a BU coin to see if it's real. Destroys value.

4. Coinlover

i did a little dot on it. its gone now and you can't even see it. are these old $20 bills supose to have a secirity strip?

5. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

Nope, I just did a bit of reading and that started in 1990. Anything after (and including) 1990 should have the strip. If it doesn't it may be an ERROR not a counterfeit.

Can you post any pics of the note?

6. Coinlover

here is the front of the bill. here's the back of the bill.

7. BostonMike

BostonMike Senior Member

I've got two series 1981 $20's in pretty good condition

Someone owed me $40 and gave me those 20's. To him they were just $20 notes, but to me it was getting paid in something i now can't spend :(

I thought long and hard about spending them, but i kept them anyway

8. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

That's a pretty nice note,on the back,that is!

Aidan.

9. Coinlover

do you guys think it is a ink error?

10. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

the note has been well circulated, any apparent crispness might be due to someone 'pressing' the note. but there is certainly evidence of folding down the center.

regardless of wear - awsome find :)

11. Coinlover

it feels to me like someone ironed it to make it crisp. what would make it worn on the front, and new looking on the back though?

12. Magman

Magman U.S. Money Collector

there is a line on the back.
    which to me suggests it was folded on the reverse. i.e. folded in such a way that the front was exposed, but the backs were touching.

13. Coinlover

next time i see my coin dealer, i will show it to him to see what he thinks.

14. gatzdon

gatzdon Numismatist

When people carry money in their pocket folded over, the outward side of the not facing out can get pretty badly worn. As mentioned above, this is what appears to have happened to this bill.

Even for current money, the counterfeit pen is useless. The mose underused security feature in our money is the security thread. Each denomination has it's own color when viewed under a UV light. A 365NM UV light pen can be bought for as little as $60 + shipping. It's a quick and nondestructive means of checking authenticity.

Also, if you are into world banknotes, some countries make creative use of dies that are only visible under UV light. My colombian notes have some interesting effects under the UV light, much more creative than the US notes (although the color indicator for denomition is a cool concept that they should never get rid of).

15. Kathy Diaz

Kathy Diaz New Member

I was just given a crisp $20 bill from 1985 with no security strip (seemed fake to me until I stumbled across this thread). What should I be looking for that would make it worth more than $20?

16. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

A bill from 1985 wouldn't have a security strip.

17. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Post a photo of the front and rear Kathy.

18. Kathy Diaz

Kathy Diaz New Member

I can't figure out how to add in this thread as the pics don't have a URL

19. Kathy Diaz

Kathy Diaz New Member

20. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

If you have a photo saved, you click UPLOAD FILE, choose the file, and then click full size and then click POST.
    Not to be rude but why do you think you should get more than $20 for this bill?
    So it's from 1985. Is it rare? Does it have an error? Does it have a special serial number? Is it immaculate? You paid $20 for this, but you think you deserve more?

21. Kathy Diaz

Kathy Diaz New Member

At no point have I said I DESERVE MORE, calm down. I thought the bill I received in exchange for good s today was fake because it is in such great shape from 1985 and still "crisp". I ran across this thread and wondered if it COULD be worth more and thus created an account to ask what would make it worth more than $20. Since I am not a pro and can't identify what would be an error, rare or special serial number, I thought this group would be a good place to ask as the previous answers seemed to be helpful and informative (for example, not to use the fake money pen on this bill).
    If the process was a simple as UPLOADING a picture, I wouldn't need assistance but there is not a upload picture option for me, only URL LINKs pull up when I click on the photo or media icons, maybe that is because I am new? I noticed there are several things I can't do or comment on because I am new.

Draft saved Draft deleted