1984 Silver Colored Penny

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by wef137, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Cough, cough. Yeah OK. No one had 8 of them.

bruthajoe likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Some of this stuff is hard to do at home. When we did the "Silver And Gold Penny" lab, it required hot sodium hydroxide (!) which I wouldn't want to deal with outside a laboratory.

bruthajoe likes this.
  4. bruthajoe

bruthajoe Still Recovering

cyanide?

Kentucky likes this.
  5. Kentucky

One of the ways to silver plate is to dissolve silver cyanide in a solution of sodium cyanide and then plate from a silver electrode. Cyanide is VERY toxic and can be absorbed through the skin, or if the solution gets acidic, you have hydrogen cyanide, gas chamber gas...stay away.

bruthajoe likes this.
  6. bruthajoe

bruthajoe Still Recovering

Yea, I won't be doing that.

Kentucky likes this.
  7. Kentucky

Thank you...I actually did it once when I was younger and stupider.

bruthajoe likes this.
  8. bigwop1952

bigwop1952 New Member

What can I say. I saw them and had them. Probably put them in the register. Was not a coin collector back then. Just thought they were weird. By the way you should take something for that cough, sounds nasty. Thanks for the greeting on my very first post. I collect coins but consider myself to be a novice. I have fun with it. Just got a 1913 Buffalo nickle unc. To me to have something that old is cool.

9. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Be assured you didn't have 8 1974 aluminum cents.
    You didn't even have 1.
    Whatever you think you saw, whatever you think you had,
    it was something else.

10. Kentucky

People on here like to be humorous, but 1) usually don't joke about coins and 2) if you do, at least use a smiley face :) Oh yeah, welcome to CT.

11. KGpenny

KGpenny New Member

I also have a 1984 D Lincoln cent that is silver. Is it possible that it may have been struck on a 20 (cent) Panama silver coin planchette?

12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

This thread is over a year old. Please post a new thread and show full frame photos of both sides. Welcome to CT.

Kentucky likes this.
  13. buddy16cat

buddy16cat Well-Known Member

Science experiments.

14. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

The market for those has declined over the years. It's a shame because I have so many I spray painted like that and gold ones too. Did you ever find a gold one?

Draft saved Draft deleted