1984-S Lincoln Cent Proof w/ Double Strike - Flat Field Doubling on MM

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by OcalaFlorida, Aug 27, 2014.

1. OcalaFlorida

OcalaFlorida Active Member

I found this little 1984-S proof Lincoln Cent a few months ago. I find it pretty interesting. There is probably not much if any premium on something like this.

This a Odd little coin it is NOT A RPM, 1984-S Lincoln Cent Proof with Double Strike Flat Field Doubling on Mint mark. It is also NOT A VARIETY but a IS A Strike Error.

ken potter has a less extreme example on his site. BTW same year and mint mark
    Double Strike - Flat Field Doubling

Check Here

http://koinpro.tripod.com/Articles/OtherFormsOfDoubling.htm

I collect these but they might be so called non collectable

I believe it might be possible that this coin possibly suffered from misaligned shifting damage twice or shifted twice on each of two strikes.

Is it possible to be struck 4 times a a proof is already double struck and this example is doubled the normal FFD effect.

Is that a

Quadruple Strike - Flat Field Doubling now that would be cool!!

Under USB Microscope -

1984-s-rpm-mm.jpg 1984-s-rpm5.jpg 1984-S-proof-rpm-3.jpg 1984-s-rpm-back.jpg

Briboy07, spirityoda and non_cents like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

nice find

spirityoda likes this.
  4. atrox001

atrox001 Senior Member

Are you sure this is not an RPM...I'm not? Have you ever sent it to Wiles?

It would be nice to see a focused close up of the mint mark.

Larry Nienaber

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Ditto.
    On all points.

6. OcalaFlorida

If you guys check out Ken potters example of same year coin and mint mark is only double struck.

There are multiple of these floating around I think they are cool but they are strike errors not anything on the die.

I did not check with Wiles...

I went by my own research looking at ken potters example and by talking to Richard Cooper aka Coop a trusted variety expert who posts on a lot of forums.

http://koinpro.tripod.com/Articles/OtherFormsOfDoubling.htm

7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

This was my primary reference on the subject, and although I can see some similarity, I can't quite reconcile your example with Diamond's explanation of flat field doubling.

"I believe it might be possible that this coin possibly suffered from misaligned shifting damage twice

Possibly the better explanation.

http://www.coinworld.com/content/cw...fectly-aligned-proof-strikes-produce-fla.html ( Mike Diamond's article)

OcalaFlorida likes this.
  8. OcalaFlorida

thanks for the article link mikes info is always easy to understand.

I only reference I had seen on the subject was that 2 line thing on ken potters website.

Draft saved Draft deleted