1984 quarter, perhaps error, what do you think?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Chrack, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Chrack

Chrack New Member

I found a quarter quite by accident that would not quite fit into the coin slot of a washing machine. It is from 1984 and feels noticeably thicker than a regular quarter, perhaps because of a punching error. However, the thickness is only on one edge (to his back side). In addition, on that same side, where most quarters have a letter (for state minting, I believe) by George Washington's pony tail there is just a small lump, as if it were never pressed into shape.

If this sounds like something that might be worth anything (even just a couple bucks), let me know and I'll take a picture of it and upload it here. Thanks a lot!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. james m. wolfe

james m. wolfe New Member

:welcome:glad you can join us :hail:can wait for photo

4. papermoney54

papermoney54 Coin Collector

we want pics:hail:

5. Chrack

Chrack New Member

My camera doesn't seem to be able to take a picture without it being blurry. Would it be best to scan the quarter? Or is there another trick to getting a good shot?

6. dsmith23

dsmith23 Gotta get 'em all

if it has a macro mode (picture of a flower) try that

Edit: from your description it sounds like a dryer, or spooned coin

7. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Hold a loupe against your camera lens, and move the distance of the camera to or from the quarter until it's as sharp as you can get it.

Like this:

42_Merc_obv3.jpg 42_Merc_rev1.jpg

8. Chrack

Chrack New Member

Good tips, thanks. Unfortunately I don't have any kind of loupe or magnifying glass and the macro feature doesn't seem to do enough (probably just the quality of my camera). I'll hang onto it, maybe try borrowing a camera or something.

9. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

Put some water in a clear glass with a smooth bottom and see if that magnifies it any, then take a picture somehow while holding the glass and camera? I'm partly joking and partly not. Might work?

Edit: I'm not suggesting you put the coin into the water. Just hold the glass over the coin and look down into it to see if there is magnification.

Edit 2: Nevermind. I just tried it and it doesn't work. :eek: If you have a printer with a scanner, that will work.

Draft saved Draft deleted