1984 Olympic Prestige Proof Set

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by King Rob, Feb 21, 2015.

1. King Rob

King Rob New Member

image.jpg I've been thinking about selling or trading this and I'm just curious how much it might be worth and if you guys think it's something I should just hold on to. I know it's not worth some insane amount, I'm just still extremely new to coin collecting and if I do get an offer I want to have an idea of the value so I don't get ripped off.

I've seen a wide range of what people are currently selling them for so it's been tough to find anything out by looking at eBay or craigslist.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It's tough to set a value on these. About all you can do is to follow the ones that actually sell on ebay and take an average of those prices.

4. howboutatrade

howboutatrade Active Member

These sets tend to run between $25-30. I am always looking at them as one of my favorite coins came from the olympic sets of that year. My photo skills are not good enough to capture the rainbow toning this coin has in hand. Pulled it from a set and the capsule had been cracked....rainbow toning began and the crack and moved out towards the edges...the obverse is very pretty. Love this one.

P1050739.JPG P1050744.JPG

1984 S Olympic Coliseum Obverse.jpg

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Sorry to say that most of these Prestige Proof sets don't carry a lot of value. I have just about all of them. The 1984 mintage 316,680 issue price was $59.00 hate to sat it but if you got half of that value you be doing well. I have been considering since the vales are not there, and the packaging takes up so much room to break mine up. I may try and sell the coins off that way. I have a lot of dealer friends when asked at a show to buy them from someone wanting to sell nicely decline.
    The 1995 S set does a little better value wise. but again not a lot of takers.
    The sad part is that they are very nice looking sets. However the regular coins cent through half don't carry much value. and as for the modern commemoratives well I know there are people whom collect, but so many have flooded the market.
    Good luck

6. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I paid $30 for mine back when silver was close to $40/oz.

7. Spud Koolzip

Spud Koolzip Member

8. Spud Koolzip

Spud Koolzip Member

These coins do not have 'rainbow toning.' Here in the real world it is called 'tarnish.'

9. King Rob

King Rob New Member

Back when I got it I only paid $20 for it. I had been looking at it in the sellers display case and figured for $20 it couldn't be that bad of a deal.

One other thing I'm curious about is the 2015 Silver Eagles. I've been on a silver trip the past few months; I set aside a small amount from each paycheck and have been buying 1oz silver bars. I know it's probably way cheaper to buy in large amounts but I figured it's something I don't plan on getting rid of anytime soon so just a few at a time isn't gonna effect my pay/savings.

Anyway, I have bought some 2014 silver eagles along with the bars and the guy I got em from was saying the 2015s are up in value with collectors. I didn't get into a discussion about why, but was wondering is it just because they're new or is there some other reason?

10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

2015 ain't no different from 2014. Let not them snooker you........

Pere likes this.
  11. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

Here in the numismatic world it's called toning.

Pere and Jwt708 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted