1984 error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by $Money$, Dec 5, 2018.

1. $Money$

$Money$ Member

I found this nickel and it looked interesting so i spent hours looking and moving it in the light and have come to realize its stamped on a indain head nickel, look by Jefferson tail the left side thats the hair that comes down the indains face. ANYONE SEE IT?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Looks like you just totally wasted a few hours of your life... No I see nothing

(It is actually called a Buffalo Nickel)

4. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Just a normal, really rough, Jefferson nickel.

5. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Could’ve been more tactful here buddy. Comments like these turn people away from collecting. The guy spent hours looking at a coin; sounds like we should be encouraging this bevahior and helping people willing to do that do it more constructively. Also, it is not uncommon for Buffalo nickels to be called Indian nickels.

@$Money$ sorry, your coin is a regular nickel.

6. paddyman98

Sheesh I'm sorry.. :shifty:

It was her ALL CAPS that got me annoyed ;)
    Capture+_2018-12-06-08-49-08.png

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  7. $Money$

$Money$ Member

I would have to disagree

8. $Money$

$Money$ Member

I know what its called, but we are also called humans there for we make mistakes i see your into pointing them out....

9. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

While Buffalo nickel is the popular accepted slang term, the actual name is
    Indian Head Nickel.
    Like the V nickel is the Liberty Nickel, and the Mercury dime is the Winged Liberty Dime.

10. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Since you're willing to acknowledge the fact we're all human, you should also be equally accepting of what's really going on here.

Pareidolia is your answer. Look it up if need be.

11. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

No @Seattlite86 and others are correct. Your coin suffered environmental damage, nothing more. The corrosion/pitting/residue is causing you to think you see something that isn't there.

FinishedWalkout likes this.
  12. BooksB4Coins

Unfortunately, the response to your efforts is almost certainly why so many have grown frustrated with trying to assist the new and now largely avoid such threads.

As the old saying goes: no good deed goes unpunished.

Seattlite86 and paddyman98 like this.
  13. paddyman98

I did apologize.. Did you read that part o_O

14. paddyman98

Today has been.. Let's beat up on Paddyman day! :hurting:

Peace :angelic:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  15. TyCobb

TyCobb A product of PMD

Is that dog squirrel fox brown thing holding a sign that says "ok" or "OK"? Good choice choosing a word that requires caps :p

Seattlite86 and paddyman98 like this.
  16. Seattlite86

Here’s the thing. On what basis do you disagree? Please explain, with your knowledge of numismatics, how you think this “error” could’ve happened.

17. Seattlite86

Oh, I completely understand the frustration with people who don’t even understand the basics of how a coin is minted and won’t listen to people who have actually studied this. I still don’t think it excuses poor manners; especially when all they’ve done is ask the question. Just my two cents.

18. paddyman98

I know you are new to collecting so I want to guide you a bit ;)

Whenever you think you have found a coin that was stamped over with another coin you should also show both sides and the edge. There can be clues there also to determine if this is true or not.

In this case I find it highly impossible to have a Indian Head Buffalo Nickel overstruck with a Jefferson Nickel since the last time the Buffalo series were struck was in 1938. It can't be a transitional error, meaning leftover planchets left over from the previous year then struck on the new current year because the Jefferson would have to be a 1939.. As stated, I think what you are seeing is Pareidolia.

But.. It can't be impossible since there are a few Mint Employee assisted struck coins where other years or even other foreign coins are struck on newer minted coins by Probably tossing them into the Blank bin. Such as a US Quarter struck on a Canadian Quarter.

How's that for a tactical answer! :rolleyes:

FinishedWalkout and Seattlite86 like this.
  19. BooksB4Coins

You're right, it doesn't, at least initially anyway. Once the predictable nonsense starts though, it's fair game; anyone coming here demanding help while copping an attitude deserves a strong dose of their own medicine. This isn't daycare and no one here is paid to coddle those demanding to be treated like spoiled children.

Still, people are people and experiences impact both our outlook and behavior. When one spends day after day, month after month trying to help the new, often receiving little more thanks than insults and accusations, it's easy to forget there's always the exception (think Shrews). Really, it seems we're to the point this is a chicken or the egg type thing with no real solution other than to try to verbally feel out each new member before diving in trying to help them. There's little sense in sitting down and writing out a long detailed response, providing links or independent evidence, etc, unless the effort will be appreciated. Fortunately, guys like Paddy, Furry, Fred, and a very small handful of others have shouldered the attacks, including from other members (not you) who make little to no effort to help such people but just love to attack and belittle others for theirs. Without them this forum would offer next to nothing for the new interested in errors or varieties. JMHO, of course.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  20. $Money$

$Money$ Member

Ok then explain how a 1970 quarter can be struck on a 1941 Canadian

21. Shrews1994

Shrews1994 Collecting is my passion.

No need for them to explain. Read up on it.

Oldhoopster likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted