1984 Double Ear Penny?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by -Andy-, Dec 3, 2015.

1. -Andy-

-Andy- Andrew B. -Andy- YN

My brother looked at this and it REALLY looks like it could be a double ear. Sorry for the not so great pics. It looks really cool in the microscope but we couldn't take a picture that way sooo we had to zoom in. Thanks!! :) ;)

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

upload_2015-12-3_22-6-54.png

tommyc03 likes this.
  4. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Doesn't really look like it.

tommyc03 likes this.
  5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I have always wondered about this particular doubled die. I have found many with just some slight doubling but not the full blown one. You think maybe it might be because the "experts" will not admit any other possibilities but the one you posted because it is so slight? It has also become confusing as to the new shield cent doubled dies with supposed doubling at the numerals, which look like nothing more than slashed numbers. I thought that this might have been some re-engraving at first but I guess everything changes.

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'd need a better close-up with a little more light on the subject area.

Chris

PS. No, I don't need a photo at 200x.

7. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

If truly a doubled die, I've no doubt it would be attributed. Just think of how many other exceedingly minor varieties have been listed; there's no conspiracy against other "doubled ears". If you truly believe what you've found is correct, there's little to lose by sending one to your preference.

tommyc03 likes this.
  8. Jdiablo30

Jdiablo30 Well-Known Member

I think that is just a well placed die chip. I've seen a couple other coins posted before asking the exact same question and looked exactly the same. Heck,might have even been on this forum.
    The doubling on the ear of a legit 1984 is to the 7-8 oclock position behind the ear. Your coin has the chip at the 5-6 oclock position.

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

Here is mine:
    1984ddo1.jpg

Markus1959 and paddyman98 like this.
  10. thedredge

thedredge Active Member

Minor doubling would be one thing but his looks to be major "like" the 7-8 oclock position. I would think if there were different doublings of the ear and the common one found was the 7-8 then one would have to logically think that his 5-6 was less common and maybe even more desirable if there are fewer of them. For some of us, like me, I would have to get both just to have them.

11. -Andy-

So, guys, How much is my brother's 1984 "Double Ear" penny worth???

12. BooksB4Coins

Unfortunately, nothing... at least beyond its face value that is. While, and has already been suggested, better photos may help with getting you a consensus, the one posted is clear enough to see that the cause of the anomaly is almost certainly a well-placed hit or the like. The lobe of the would-be primary is both too short and not of the correct shape, which wouldn't be the case if the ear was truly doubled. Take a moment to compare to the posted photos of the known significant variety; you'll notice that the secondary is identical in size and shape to the primary, and is what we would expect to see, even if in a different position, if this was in fact a new variety.

The design of later Lincolns, unfortunately, turned into more of a caricature rather than a reasonably modernized representation of the original. This added to the ridiculously low quality of most early Zincolns can make identifying what is supposed to be somewhat of a chore, but I digress...

13. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

This is a doubled-ear 1984 cent. I had one that had been certified MS64 Red by one of the minor services that I took to sell at an ANA convention in 2014, and no one would offer anything for it. I finally took it to SilverTowne, and one of the buyers there offered me something like $25 for it. This was a coin with a wholesale value at the time of maybe $150 or more. I said, how about $65, and the guy bought it. Before I sold it, I showed it to a dealer who bought error coins, and he said to get rid of it as quickly as possible. According to him, the zinc coating starts coming off, producing bubbles on the coin's surface, which, as you would expect, knocks the value down a lot. Anyway, I took a loupe and looked at my coin and sure enough, it had some bubbling. I guess what I'm saying is that you should get rid of it for what you can get out of it ASAP. By the way, I figured I had about $10 in the coin, as I found it in my wife's change purse. The only reason I looked at her coins was that I had read in a coin paper that they were being found in my state, about 2 hours from where I live. The $10 was the cost of certification back in 1984.

Amos 811 likes this.
  14. BooksB4Coins

The OP'S coin? If so, perhaps you should take another look....

15. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

Actually, I was referring to the one posted by Markus 1959, I think, not Andy's coin.

16. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

Going to go post my raw one in the sales....Im done looking at these grading services! I am going to keep em raw. I love finding cool, neat, and valuable ones. But I am not willing to invest into them, seeing as I can take good photos and sell raw for the same. If i ever find a 'retirement' specimen, ill reconsider. Took me a year. So let it be written, so let it be done.

17. BooksB4Coins

I thought that might be the case... thanks for clarifying. :)

18. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

19. -Andy-

Here is a BETTER picture of the Penny. Also it was CLEARLY struck twice; look at the rim, notice how there are two of them???

Attached Files:

20. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

*face palm* The double rim is called a MAD. or mis aligned die. You have a PMD cut, scratch, etc across the ear lobe. nothing else.

21. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

Just damage, as was stated above. "Doubled" die coins aren't struck twice. The doubling is on the die.

Draft saved Draft deleted