1984 D Penny

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by hogan36, Oct 8, 2015.

1. hogan36

hogan36 Member

Here I have a 1984 D Penny. Is this a grease error?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

yes, you do.

4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Very nice. In maintaining the dies that strike the coins, they use grease. If they use too much, it fills in part of the design and causes this effect. Not really an error, but interesting. I've only found one.

5. hogan36

hogan36 Member

Thanks.

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The dies are not maintained with grease. Grease is used to maintain the moving parts of the machinery. Some of this grease is transferred to the planchets and when they are struck in the coining chamber, some of the grease is then transferred to the dies. The build-up of grease is a gradual process and repeated strikes of planchets in the coining chamber compacts grease, dust & debris to the point that devices disappear.

Coins produced from grease-filled dies are very common and not worth much. I've found hundreds upon hundreds of them, and I usually just spend them.

Chris

Kentucky and ldhair like this.
  7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Thanks for the correction...I feel more educated now. I've never found any in circulation ('course I haven't looked too hard).

8. hogan36

hogan36 Member

Kentucky I'm looking hard everyday. What's another man mistake for not looking ,could be another man treasure who is looking ?

JoeFromMass likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted