1984 D penny error

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Todd walker, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Todd walker

Todd walker Member

Hi my fine friends here at CT. It's great to be in great company. You all are great for sharing your hard learned knowledge with me. I learn from you all as well. I want to show you all coin experts this 84 penny. I see many 84 pennies with mint mark issues for this year. This 84 D penny here looks as if the mint mark letter was dropped onto the penny when molten hot. I say this because if you look at the mint mark it has like a crater indentation around the D. Happy Happy New Year to each and everyone here on CT. Please share your thoughts about this coin. Thank you all so very much. It looks to have doubling too. Peace 20200101_234547.jpg 20200101_234547.jpg 20200101_234412.jpg 20200101_234234.jpg 20200101_234116.jpg 20200101_234234.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

The mint mark looks like that due to plating issues, as you can see the the mint mark itself has zinc exposed and the rest is due to plate bubbling.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Copper plated zinc cent = Crappy Zincoln :yack:

Plating issue on Mint Mark. Common issue.

5. Todd walker

Todd walker Member

Can you give me an opinion about the small crater the the mint mark is sitting in? How can the indentation be from plating? I'm just trying to learn my friend. Please dont get upset if I ask a dumb question. I'll try not to do it often. Thank you too for your knowledge about the 1984 D penny. Peace my friend

6. paddyman98

7. paddyman98

Upset? No way.. If you are willing to learn then we are here to help you. Dumb is when someone tells me/us that we don't know what we are talking about and dismiss us. It happens :(

Peace :angelic:

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Hi, Todd! Unfortunately, all Lincoln cents produced since mid-1982 are composed of 95% zinc which makes them susceptible to all kinds of "decomp".....bubbles, blisters.....sinkholes & subterranean termites.;) That is why some of us choose to call them Crappy Zincolns. There are billions of these pieces of useless garbage floating around in circulation, and I can assure you that, unlike specimens of the 1909 VDB, they will not last for 100 years in circulation. ~ Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted