1984 D penny error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Curious Coin, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Curious Coin

Curious Coin Active Member

Hey guys I'm new here and I need some help with this one.

As you can see it has an unusual texture to the copper jacket both on front and back of the coin as well as deformed ears that have pointed tips [which I did not notice until I enlarged the pic...].

I tried searching for similar errors but came up with nothing like this for any year of the zinc alloy $0.01 coins. Any help with this one would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Welcome to CT. This is just one of the "dogs" from the early stages of the clad cents...shows plating problems and bubbles.

4. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Take a look at the bottom of the memorial. You can see the cancer has started and is growing. This may help to explain the ear as well.

Curious Coin likes this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

The Obverse shows signs of a Worn Die Strike
    The Reverse is damaged.

6. Curious Coin

That was my assumption even though I've never seen such uniform bubbling to the cladding.

Thanks for your reply.

Kentucky likes this.
  7. Curious Coin

You're correct about the ear. After I got home I used my loupe for a closer look. There is indeed "cancer" around the ear creating the illusion of pointed ears.

8. BooksB4Coins

Very good, sir. Thanks for the update. :)

There's a lot of people who think such coins are not worth one's time, but I've always felt them an excellent and inexpensive opportunity to both help train one's eye as well as to learn about wear, damage, surface conditions, etc, etc and can be applied to all types.

Welcome to the forum.

Curious Coin likes this.
  9. Curious Coin

IPC_2018-08-19.19.28.48.2760.jpg

10. BooksB4Coins

Draft saved Draft deleted