1984-D JFK Halves: Are they worth submitting?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Gam3rBlake, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  2. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

TPG stands for Third Party Grader. These are professional companies who give a grade to submitted coins as to their quality and condition, this is a simplified explanation.

3. Millard

Millard Coindog

And they wonder why I drink. :wacky:

4. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

The issue is that Evan seems to totally miss the point of why I asked the question.

As I’ve said before my intention for getting some of this stuff graded is to help out people working on their registry sets.

I don’t collect moderns and I want to help people who do rather than leaving them in my basement for 50 years.

But I know you enjoy leaving sarcastic/snarky comments so I’m sure you just skipped that part of what I said so you could leave one.

5. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

That's my modus operandi, yes.

6. Gam3rBlake

That’s so strange because I remember once my LCS sent in a tube of American Silver Eagles and ALL of them came back MS69 or MS70.

My guess is because they came straight from the Mint.

That’s why it shocks me that a JFK Half straight from the Mint could grade under 67.

Ive never ever seen a brand new American Silver Eagle straight from the tube grade as a 66 or below.

7. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

So you ask about value where you could make a big profit out of your desire to help out registry sets? If people want to do your work for you they can but...........

8. Gam3rBlake

No! That’s not what I’m saying.

I don’t care if I make money or not.

I just want to help by having coins graded that people might want for their registry sets.

Like if someone out there says:
    “Hey I’m looking for a 1984-D Lincoln Cent in MS66 RD or better.”

Well they might not want to buy a raw coin in a Mint Set because there is no guarantee it’s MS66 RD.

But if I get it graded they might want it.

As long as I recoup the grading fee that’s all I care about.

I don’t care if I make a profit on it.

9. JPD3

JPD3 Well-Known Member

upload_2021-3-26_1-18-13.png

10. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

It's OK to make money selling coins. Many CoinTalk members post coins for sale on Ebay every day, and they're not doing it to lose money.

I don't understand the piling on . . . unless the objective is to run off another young collector with questions born of inexperience.

11. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Some of us myself included don’t want to basically be doing the work for someone to make money whether they’re a dealer or anyone else. It’s one thing to ask questions anyone to appear to want hand holding for monetary gain.

12. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

The OP asked a relatively simple question . . .

"I’m wondering what the likelihood is of getting an MS67 grade if the coins have never been touched and went straight from the Mint to my grandparent’s closet for almost 40 years."

. . . that got twisted into something it wasn't.

Not the worst or most annoying question ever asked on this forum by a less experienced collector, and nowhere near as bad as the questions that get get asked almost daily by the YouTube-watching LMC treasure hunters.

OP was given some coins he doesn't want as a collector, doesn't want to store away in perpetuity, and has been told (by CT "experts") that he shouldn't spend them. Seems to me he's just trying to figure out what to do with them.

This guy appears to have genuine enthusiasm for coins. I just hate to see it dampened.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  13. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

14. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

I order rolls of Kennedys from the Mint yearly...maybe 1 67 in 2 rolls...in 1984 they all flew into bins at very high speed...no regard for condition here...you could still get a 67 in your sets, but you may also win the lottery...about the same odds.

Draft saved Draft deleted