1984-D JFK Halves: Are they worth submitting?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Gam3rBlake, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

I have 4x 1984 Mint Sets and each one contains 1x 1984-D & 1x 1984-P JFK Half Dollar.

I was looking at the PCGS price guide and apparently both of them can be worth really good money if they’re MS67.

Well worth the grading fees & shipping costs.

Even MS66+ (on the D) is priced at $300 which would be worth the submission fees even if the seller only got half of that.

MS66 (on the D) is only worth $60 so idk if it would be worth the fees.

But these Mint Sets I got have been treated well by my grandparents who bought them in 1984 so I’m wondering what the likelihood is of getting an MS67 grade if the coins have never been touched and went straight from the Mint to my grandparent’s closet for almost 40 years.

What do you think?

34DFCD9E-472D-44DD-9D95-A9A2BE5BFAB5.jpeg

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Not to be a jerk but you need to learn to grade. The likely hood is incredibly low hence the prices. Most coins the day they were made wouldn’t get those grades. No one give you good advice from generic questions, could they be worth it sure could they be a waste of money also sure.

4. Gam3rBlake

I do know how to grade some coins. Just not JFK halves.

But I know I’ve seen MS67 Morgan Dollars with a few bag marks around the cheek and my JFK Halves don’t have nearly as many marks.

Im just curious if it’s worth sending off the very best specimens that look the grade.

5. baseball21

Morgans and modern are are graded VERY differently

Everything I said before holds. No one can tell you from a generic question and learning to grade is the way to know.

Cliff Reuter, Evan Saltis and GH#75 like this.
  6. Gam3rBlake

Thats kind of what I’m trying to say.

I’m asking if it’s worth showing my coins to someone who knows how to grade them.

Or if an MS67 grade is just so rare and unlikely that it would be a waste of time.

I just have so many Mint & Proof sets from 1979-1990 that I’m trying to find if any of the coins in them are worth sending in for grading so if they’re high grade they can go to collectors who need them to fill wholes in their collection.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  7. baseball21

think about what you said logically. You just asked if a rare grade is a waste of time to see if it’s a rare grade. I’ll bow out from helping out of this but no ones gonna hold your hand with step by step instructions to make you money. Free advice is generally worth what you pay for but like I said I’ll step back now and best of luck

8. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

"Or if an MS67 grade is just so rare and unlikely that it would be a waste of time." Blake says .
    The best thing I've heard you say the whole thread .

Evan Saltis likes this.
  9. Gam3rBlake

I think you’re misunderstanding what I’m asking.

I’m not asking for anyone to give me free advice or hold my hand.

I’m asking if it’s worth taking with me to the dealer the next time I go to my LCS and having him take a look at them.

You’re behaving like asking a question on a help forum is somehow wrong.

I know if someone asked if a Morgan Dollar looks likely to get a certain grade I would help them out the best I could since that’s where my knowledge is.

I figured maybe someone here had knowledge on JFK Halves and can speak up or show off an MS67 example to compare to.

Anyway thank you for attempting to help.

10. Gam3rBlake

Why do you bother to post if it’s just going to be something negative?

Can you not hold your tongue and resist saying something snarky?

I don’t get it.

11. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Don't give up your day job . IGNORE .

12. baseball21

Literal contradiction. Good luck

13. Gam3rBlake

Not if my coin dealer charges a fee.

Thus not “free advice”.

Thank you so much! :)

14. baseball21

if you’re paying for that just wow.

Also asking here is free advice. I actually did give you the answer you just didn’t wanna do more work I guess

anyways good luck

15. Gam3rBlake

I know you did. I appreciate it.

I just wish you could’ve left it at that instead of acting like I’m doing something I shouldn’t be.

Im happy to do the work I was just asking for direction on where to go from here.

I can’t do the work myself if I don’t know where to look.

Terrifrompa likes this.
  16. baseball21

17. JPD3

JPD3 Well-Known Member

18. beaver96

beaver96 Well-Known Member

Modern coins are held to such ultra high standards that it seems that any marks, smears, hairlines at all bring the grade way down. Very few coin dealer have the expertise to grade the modern coins as strictly as the TPGs. They can give you a ballpark grade but unless they have some slabbed examples to compare it to you are still taking a chance on their opinion.
    If the sets are still in their original packaging you really can't tell what they really look like and once you break them out you just have BU coins that are just spenders unless the gods are really smiling on you that day. Good luck what ever you decide.

19. JAY-AR

JAY-AR Well-Known Member

What JPD3 said:pompous::happy:

20. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

No, it is not worth it. I have hundreds of Kennedy Halves, many in high grades. There is a reason those dates are so pricey in MS 67 because that grade is quite rare. You don’t have any of them. At best, you probably have a couple of MS 65s from mint sets.

Razz likes this.
  21. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Let's start over.

First of all, you did some homework, since you are looking at the cost-benefit of doing this. Your question as to whether you should show them to your dealer for an opinion is easy to answer. Yes. I assume this is someone you have seen before and have spent money with, and that you see each other as worthy of continuing a business relationship. You have more homework to do, though. Start with CoinFacts. You'll see 84-D has a pop 1 in 66+, implying that they'll grade the coins 66 or 67. Now look at the 67 photos. In order to grade 67, the coin has to be stunning, but not perfect. There are only a few for 84-D, so look at 83-D and 85-D as well to compare. Look at PCGS Photograde, too. Don't just try to justify a 67 on your coins, try justify grading them 64, 65, and 66, too. If there are things you don't understand about pictures you see in the 64-67 range, ask here. We are here to give free advice. Sometime's it's worth what you pay for it, sometimes more. If you can post a high quality picture, do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted