1984-D dime

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by kgenks, Jan 10, 2021.

1. kgenks

kgenks New Member

Hello. Does anyone know if this dime is a mint error or has it just been through a wood chipper? I believe it’s a DDO also.

Attached Files:

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

:doctor: Wow, man. You serious . You can't tell ? Ok. Good Night all.

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

DEFDAM - Definitely Damaged :yack:

Not a Mint Error nor Doubled Die variety.

What's it worth? 10 Cents. Only if a store would accept it. A CoinStar machine would actually reject it.

Suggestion.. Create any future threads over at the Error Coins forum here on CoinTalk. First worry about what you have. Value is the last thing to be concerned about.

Welcome to CoinTalk

5. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

Worth 10 cents to whoever you can pay with it.

6. kgenks

kgenks New Member

Wow. Love the supportive responses to a FEMALE who is brand new to coin collecting.

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'll go with wood chipper or kitchen sink disposal. :D

8. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Hi @kgenks welcome to CT. Your coin has suffered damage after it left the mint. As a newcomer it would be advisable to learn as much as you can about the minting process and about how doubled dies are created. There are many forms of no added value doubling and true doubled die varieties are harder to come by found in circulation. Here are a couple of sites that explain very well the various stages of the process. Learning this will make it easier to analyse your coins
    https://doubleddie.com/
    http://varietyvista.com/
    Hope this helps

9. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

10. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

My money is on a lawnmower. Yes, that is a seriously damaged dime.

11. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I think so. Although it would be important to nail it down to the one or the other as the premiums do vary. That's understandable, as one would think the wood chipper ones would be more scarce. And so you don't want to just assume it's the wood chipper one, advertising it as such, as you could be ripping somebody off if it's really only the kitchen sink disposal one. The only way to really tell is to get it authenticated by a professional. Another advantage to that is it would inspire consumer confidence.

ldhair likes this.
  12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

No offense intended, but if you're new to coin collecting, you SHOULD NOT be wondering if this is an error. You need to understand the minting process before you start looking for errors.

13. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The grading services never get this stuff right. They would probably call it lawnmower damage. ;)

Razz and eddiespin like this.
  14. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Please forgive us @kgenks. Just folks having fun. We are here to help if you need.

15. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

And if you challenge them, they will just claim mechanical error on the slab.

Draft saved Draft deleted