1984 D Cent Double Ear ?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by babygirl, Mar 18, 2019.

1. babygirl

babygirl Member

I forgot to add this picture to my 1984 D Cent is this WIN_20190317_15_17_07_Pro.jpg WIN_20190317_15_18_01_Pro.jpg WIN_20190317_15_21_57_Pro.jpg WIN_20190317_15_38_13_Pro.jpg considered as a double ear

Patrick M likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I don't know, but it should be properly called a "doubled ear", not double ear.

Chris

4. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

If I owned the coin, it would be a minor doubled ear. I'm going to start looking for one. Send it to Ken Potter c/o Coin World. If he agrees he may publish your find.

5. Patrick M

Patrick M Razor edge MD

The most common one for 1984 is the Philadelphia Mint doubled ear but the one you have looks like it's a new one from the Denver Mint. Congrats on your find!

6. babygirl

babygirl Member

Thank you for the suggestion

7. babygirl

babygirl Member

Thank you

8. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

80CD0BCE-DE8E-4B91-ABED-20EC065A614A.jpeg My 84 P for comparison. Found CRH last year. Hope yours is a new find. Larry

9. Heavymetal

Upon further examination,I don’t think yours is a doubled ear. Maybe a hit on the lobe and it’s a Zincoln with unstable metal. Still hoping for you anyway.

10. babygirl

babygirl Member

Thank you

11. Insider

Please check the image again. IMO, the surface is 100% original and not hit. Just trying to change your opinion. ;)

12. Patrick M

Patrick M Razor edge MD

I totally agree with you @Insider. It looks pretty cool new find imo and that doesn't look like a hit.

13. Heavymetal

Maybe an overlay could help. I sure could be wrong. But 35 years and none other found. Looked to me like the lobe is reduced in size by the split. Compare to mine

14. Patrick M

Patrick M Razor edge MD

We can't compare them. Yours is Philadelphia Mint and we are talking about Denver mint.

Insider likes this.
  15. Heavymetal

The mapping would be vs a normal 84 d. @justafarmer anything you could help with?

16. Patrick M

Patrick M Razor edge MD

Overlaying with a regular 1984D would definitely help but you said to compare with yours which is a Philadelphia Mint.

17. Insider

Whether this is a new variety DDO or not will be determined when the error experts examine the coin. The ONLY other thing that is IMPORTANT is for folks to agree this is NOT PMD! :D

BTW Heavy, we all know that new discoveries are being found AFTER EVEN Eighty years.

Patrick M likes this.
  18. Patrick M

Patrick M Razor edge MD

The longest time I know (doubled ear)... is the '88 Doubled ear which was found aprox on July 2010...so after 22 years. Most people look for already established DD.

19. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

Haven't done much mapping of Memorial Cents but as for overlaying a Denver Mint over a Philly Mint - should not make any difference. All dies are Philly Mint Dies until the mint mark is hand punched into them.

20. Heavymetal

Nothing heard from @babygirl since June. Don’t think we’ll ever know

Draft saved Draft deleted