1984 and 1997 Lincoln pennies with doubled ear

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by r3jar, Apr 6, 2005.

1. r3jar

r3jar New Member

I went to Ken Potter's gallery and he has mentioned that these years have Lincoln's ear lobe doubled. There are pictures there and it states that the red areas are the doubling. I have looked at many many 1997's and 1984's and I can't see anything unusual. Anybody out there have any pictures that point this out so a relative newbe can determine if it is one or not? Also, I wonder how the ear could get doubled and nothing else on the coin is doubled? Most other coins that exhibit doubling have multiple areas that are discernable. I also have trouble with the 1994 doubled columns on the reverse (the last three). Can anybody recognize these? I sure can't. Even when he posts pictures of them, they do not look doubled. He points to areas on the stairs that are wavy. But wavy stairs are a far cry from doubled columns. Sure am glad I found this site as how would I ever get these questions answered otherwise. Much thanks to all who reply.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The doubling you ask about happened when the die was pressed into the hub for the second time. But how or why it only happens in certain areas of the coin is something that I have never seen anyone be able to explain. It just happens that way.

But being able to recognize such doubling on a coin when you see it another matter. Are you saying that you cannot see the doubling in the pictures provided on Potter's site ? Or are you saying you cannot or have not seen the doubling on the coins you have examined ?

If it the latter - then I'd have to say you just haven't found any yet. It's not on every coin, for that matter you may go your whole life and never find one.

rascal likes this.
  4. lawdogct

lawdogct Coin Collector

I know someone posted a picture to the forum a few weeks ago with a picture of a 1984 double die that they had found in circulation. I'll see if I can find the post and put the link up here for you. If not, I saved the picture at home for my own reference, and I'll post it later tonight.

As GD stated, these coins are rare to find in circulation, but not impossible.

5. andy21us

andy21us Coin Hoarder

For a good picture of a 1984 D/D penny look in the One-Minute Coin Expert Book by Scott A. Travers. This will give you the best example and description of this penny and many other.

6. Steve E

Steve E New Member

If you have an '84 double ear there would be no trouble seeing it. It is easily seen with the naked eye. There are 2 VERY distinct ears with good seperation. The '97 is not as easy to spot but once you see one then you can detect it easily.

7. r3jar

r3jar New Member

GDJMSP,
    I meant that I cannot see the doubling on Potter's site. I just wanted a good example so I knew what to look for. Thanks for the reply.

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Hmmmm - dunno if this is the picture you were looking at or not - Click here - but that's about best pic of it I've ever seen. Look at the earlobe - then look immediately below it and you'll see another earlobe.

9. lawdogct

lawdogct Coin Collector

Here's the pict from the previous thread, sorry I don't recall who to attribute it to....

Attached Files:

10. r3jar

r3jar New Member

Thanks for the picture, it will help me a lot.

11. Rho

Rho New Member

1984 Lincoln Penny double ear lobe0001.jpg I hope this emage is visable for you but if you look at the ear it has a double ear lobe.

Thanks,

Rho

12. Judy morgan

Judy morgan New Member

Hello, I have a 1955 cent, on reverse is covered with brown stuff, IDK what to say about it, but I like to know what it is.

13. Perry Art

Perry Art New Member

i have read above that you can see a doubled ear with the naked eye, But Have found Pictures Of Many Varieties and some that need to be scoped. And Have seen youtube videos saying there are many versions.... Which is True? and What would this be?[​IMG]

14. Perry Art

Perry Art New Member

ok
    moving pictures around to be able to upload... I Think

15. Perry Art

Perry Art New Member

16. Perry Art

Perry Art New Member

17. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

Some times the only doubling is near the center of the coins. I believe this is because the coin dies are concave like in almost a cone shape. The center part of the die would be the first to bump into the hub. If a impression is made in the center of the die then backed off for some reason or slides out of place before completing the hubbing process then we have the newer type doubled dies. Another type is the coins with doubling mostly just on one side . This is from the die and hub being tilted to one side. The Oregon state quarters is a good example with the doubling in the trees on the right side only.

18. Perry Art

Perry Art New Member

Obverse and Reverse
    [​IMG]

19. Perry Art

Perry Art New Member

20. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

Welcome to CT , The photo you showed don't look like a doubled ear. I know the 97 ones are hard to get to show up in a photo but I can't see any evidence of it being a doubled ear. If you actually find one it will not be a problem for you to easy recognize them after seeing one. It may be really hard to find one now from circulation because so many coins have been looked thru. Anyway good luck and keep looking.

21. Danomite

Danomite What do you say uh-huh

rascal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted