1983p and d quarter

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Fancymoney, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Fancymoney

Fancymoney Member

Is it true 1983 d and p quarters right out of circulation are worth $10 to $15?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

They have to be in exceptional condition, and none of them are.

4. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

as asked, no they are not.

Uncirculated versions of 1983 P and D Quarters will command a premium if they are in choice to gem uncirculated condition.

5. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Anything on that gem that went to NGC yet, Mike?

6. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

The typical, run of the mill 1983 quarters you find in change will be worth a quarter. As others have said it needs to be in like new condition.

It's similar to a 30 year old sports car. A car with very few miles that is all original and looks like it just left the showroom (The $10-$15 quarter) is worth a lot more than a high mileage, poorly maintained, heavily used one (what you'll typically find in pocket change)

Stevearino and paddyman98 like this.
  7. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Nope. Still waiting to be graded.

8. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

An AU '83-P can be worth this much. A Denver would have to be Unc.

9. V. Kurt Bellman

The problem with Philly coins of that era was that they came off the dies looking AU.

Stevearino likes this.
  10. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Yes. A lot of them did.

Ikes were even worse sometimes since they were spun in drums to knock off "finning". I've seen fresh bags of '74 and '76 Philly Ikes that most looked VF. Shiny VF's.

Philly has made a lot of pretty terrible moderns and this is one of the reasons that Philly rolls are even harder to find than Denvers for most dates.

Dies were badly aligned, too low pressure, and then used long past the time they should have been changed. Strikes on the '82-P are especially bad but the '83-P can be just as ugly.

I save nice attractive XF and better '83-P's now days. These are finally becoming scarce in circulation. How ironic that the '84-P was no longer seen in nice attractive XF by about 1994 but the '83-P is still seen once in a blue moon.

11. mac266

mac266 Well-Known Member

To the OP, grading is a key component of coin collecting and it's something I strongly recommend you begin learning now. The American Numismatic Association offers a correspondence course on it, or you can spend a lot of money and attend one of their Summer Seminars every year (grading is ALWAYS offered!). A coin's grade is as objective as possible, given the written and photographic standards published by several authors; however, it remains highly subjective anyway. So you need to know how a seller (and YOU) would grade any coin, because the coin's grade determines the price.

Then you need a price guide, and there are several. Most collectors don't invest in "Grey Sheets" due to the expense, but it's a monthly (I think) listing of coin prices by grade, based on current market trends. I use www.numismedia.com because it's free.

12. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Dang, @V. Kurt Bellman, I can’t wrap myself around your (?) new avatar image. The contrast with the older one is disconcerting. Will the real V. Kurt Bellman please stand up?

Steve

PlanoSteve likes this.
  13. V. Kurt Bellman

The real me now is the present face, but with much shorter hair (hair color and amount of gray is exactly as you see here) as of Friday, but the beard is spot on, in fullness and color. Add reading glasses for close-up. Never knew I was a Jedi master, didja'?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    Stevearino likes this.
  14. V. Kurt Bellman

For newbs, I recommend heartily the Grading Coins Today correspondence course. I just rescued my diploma from when I took it, from my old house yesterday. The date on the diploma was February 1, 1997. Getting old, I am.

I have no doubt the course has changed a bit or four in 21 years, but that's okay. Then, after that course, do Grading Mint State Coins. It is a whole different art than grading in the circulated grades, which is a slightly more exact science when you think about it. Mint state coin grading has changed significantly in the last 21 years - I can state that with zero hesitation. I haven't taken that course formally, but I do own the ANA's video for it (VHS - being digitized literally as I type this, with a Sony video to DVD burner. After it's done there, it gets "ripped" from the DVD-RW and added to my iTunes library).

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  15. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Do you still own the suit

Stevearino likes this.
  16. V. Kurt Bellman

Rental. Too little work available to make it worth buying one.

Draft saved Draft deleted