1983D RPM

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by 1stSgt22, Apr 17, 2021.

1. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

The mint mark is a little beat up so I can't tell for sure if is an RPM or not. RPM 001 and 002 are very similar and I think this could be either one, but with the wear/damage I'm not sure!!! What do you think? WIN_20210417_21_52_28_Pro.jpg WIN_20210417_21_52_03_Pro.jpg WIN_20210417_21_48_31_Pro.jpg WIN_20210417_21_52_28_Pro.jpg WIN_20210417_21_52_03_Pro.jpg WIN_20210417_21_48_31_Pro.jpg WIN_20210417_21_52_03_Pro.jpg WIN_20210417_21_48_31_Pro.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kurisu

Kurisu Well-Known Member

Pickin and Grinin and tibor like this.
  4. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

Yeah I checked VV before I posted the pics!!! That's why I said I couldn't tell for sure with the damage to the mint mark. Just wanted some other opinions before I wrap it up and send it on!! Thanks for the input!!!

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I agree with Kurisu. A RPM if it sticks out on one place like this, I would expect to see some projection into the upper left inside space of it also. Imagine 2 D's on top of each other and one moves, the opposite side has to move also. Best of Luck, Jim

6. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

OK Thanks Jim! Guess it gets wrapped up in the next roll and it's headed to the bank!!!

7. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

That could be just a plating issue, with the tin uncovered. See the color of it?

1stSgt22 likes this.
  8. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

There is slight split plating, but also has the somewhat thicker device, but no separation line. I can see how one might think it is an RPM.

1stSgt22 likes this.
  9. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I just agree with everyone ! That way, No arguments . :happy:

1stSgt22 likes this.
  10. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Shoot a couple of photos and change the light source direction, not the coin position.

11. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

@RobertRansom 1st pic light from right, 2nd pic light from the left, 3rd pic light from above! WIN_20210418_10_02_47_Pro.jpg

WIN_20210418_10_02_47_Pro.jpg WIN_20210418_10_03_33_Pro.jpg

Attached Files:

Robert Ransom likes this.
  12. Robert Ransom

One or two more please. Try to light up the interior of the MM. Not certain at all, but there appears to be a arc line. I'm not trying to grandstand, but when I think I see something on a coin, I would rather spend a little more time and be certain. Thanks for putting up with an old goat's curiosity.

13. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I think it's split plating. That was very common on early Zincolns. I'm not seeing anything that would make me believe it's an RPM

enamel7 and eddiespin like this.
  14. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

From one old goat to another I'll post more later today. I appreciate your willingness to peruse until you're sure!!

15. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

Two more pics as close as I can get and best lighting in center of mint mark too!! WIN_20210418_21_14_46_Pro.jpg WIN_20210418_21_15_30_Pro.jpg

16. Robert Ransom

Thanks for the photos. I was looking for a definitive vertical line on the inside leg of the "D" and I do not see it. The new photos leave no doubt, IMO, the issue is displaced plating as evidenced by the ragged appearance of the material south of the "D." As stated by others, the cause of the anomaly is disturbed plating.
    @1stSgt22 Thank you for your patience and your fantastic photo taking method. What process/camera do you use? Many members could benefit from your method including myself.

Robert

17. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

@RobertRansom Your assessment is what I expected but just couldn't get rid of it without some other opinions!!! For taking photos, I use an inexpensive digital microscope made by Koolertron. Cost is about $60.00 on Amazon!! I connect to my PC using USB and use the microscope to zoom/focus! Then I use the PC camera to snap the pic!!! If needed I provide additional lighting using the flashlight on my iPhone.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  18. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

Robert, I forgot to tell you when I take a picture of the entire coin, obverse and reverse, I have to elevate the microscope then zoom in. I have found that pictures are often clearer if you have distance between the lens and the subject, then zoom or crop the image. Seems to enhance the details IMHO!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  19. Robert Ransom

Thank you for the photos. It was a lot to ask and I appreciate your patience.
    If it wouldn't be too much bother, posting the model number may be helpful to those having difficulties taking quality photos and boy, there are many. :)

20. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

It's the Koolertron digital microscope model DM4! I think a lot of members are in the habit of just using their smart phone for photo's and that just doesn't work well for closeups, or if you try to hold the camera, coin, or both! Just MHO!!!

21. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

Tin?

Draft saved Draft deleted