1983 quarter with "in" fused together

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Shepherd, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Shepherd

Shepherd New Member

So I found this and the first thing I noticed was the word in is basically a square box. Just wanna know some people's thoughts. I doubt it's really anything big but it's kinda cool too see.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tyler Wood

Tyler Wood Member

Thats just wear from circulation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Could be that the die chipped away in that area, and the precise evidence has been worn down by circulation. A feature that small on a die sometimes does not stand up to the stress of repeated striking and breaks off, filling the area between two letters.

5. Brina

Brina Well-Known Member

I have so many of these "smeared-letter" 83's & 84's that I've started to pass them by.

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Then again, it could be that they just got married, and they're taking their first shower together.

Chris

7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Not a Mint Error :yack:
    Circulation wear.

8. Brina

Brina Well-Known Member

I DOUBT normal wear. I have many of these and they're all the same. The letters are not worn down--they're smudged together where nothing else on the onverse is in that condition. I'd say some version of a plugged die.

9. paddyman98

You're entitled to your opinion but I disagree.

What you stated is incorrect. A plugged Die or Debris filles die would eliminate the letters or numbers on the field. A Die Break can cause a Die Chip between letters and look raised causing it to look fused together. But not the Quarter in question. It's just wear from what I see.

10. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

Could it be that 82 and 83 coins were not put in mint sets and quality control was lower than normal?

11. paddyman98

The 80's is old. Wear is a primary issue for the look see. You should post pictures on your very own thread to show us.

Draft saved Draft deleted