1983 proof set. Is this a plating error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Zach1983, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Zach1983

Zach1983 Active Member

Is this an error or die deterioration? 20190914_234548.jpg 20190914_234647.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

This is not an error. PMD. What your are seeing is the plating has split above the letters exposing the zinc below. This is very common in business strikes. Don't seen it on proofs very often.

Bargainbidder likes this.
  4. Zach1983

Zach1983 Active Member

I had a feeling it wasn't an error. Thanks

5. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I would not call this PMD. And most likely came from the mint in its present condition which would make it a mint error coin. But this kind of imperfection on a proof coin makes it a less desirable coin and reduces its value for what it is supposed to be. (a near perfect coin) Which in turn detracts from the value of the whole set of proof coins.
    1983 was the first year for full production of copper plated zinc cents and the mint obviously had problems with these.

Spark1951 likes this.
  6. Zach1983

Zach1983 Active Member

My brother just got it from a local coin shop in a bin or something he had out there for 5$. No telling where its been before that bin

7. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

I agree...I think you would call it a strike error...the plating was too thin for the pressure of the strike...Spark

8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Haven't I seen this called Split Plate Doubling somewhere...

9. Spark1951

Yes...there was a recent post that called it that, a few months ago, maybe?...I suppose because the zinc showing imitates doubling..I think @paddyman98 might have used the term...Spark

Kentucky likes this.
  10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

11. Spark1951

@Kentucky ...read post #8 again...I was adding some info while you responded...Spark

12. Spark1951

Kentucky likes this.
  13. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

Wow thanks all. Learned something new today!

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

You do in 1983. they had problems with it so later years are struck on planchets with a double thickness copper plating so you don't see it near as often in the later years.

Draft saved Draft deleted