1983 Penny Finally found a legit error!

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Brandi Wilson, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Brandi Wilson

Brandi Wilson ... a kid at heart

20200229_082415.jpg 20200229_082514~2.jpg 20200229_082503~2.jpg 20200229_082844~2.jpg 20200229_082832~2.jpg I know it probably means nothing to most of you but I think I found a legit error. This appears to have a die crack on it at 4 o clock. Also is slightly rotated. I don't know how rotated a coin has to be to be really considered rotated? Anyways this is definitely a keeper for me.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GH#75

GH#75 Trying to get 8 hours of sleep in 4. . .

For a rotated coin to be worth more, it should be rotated about 20 degrees or more. But nice find on the die crack.

4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

A little MAD and a die crack on the reverse. 83's are notorious for die cracks.

Spark1951, tommyc03 and paddyman98 like this.
  5. Brandi Wilson

What's a little MAD mean? Oh misaligned die right?

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  6. furryfrog02

Yup.
    Here is my favorite MAD find:
    1983P MAD.jpg

Kevin Mader and tmeyer like this.
  7. Brandi Wilson

Yeah I only saw it because
    Oh neat!

8. Brandi Wilson

The only reason I saw the die crack is because I was checking for DDO and weighing a bunch of my 1983 pennies I had collected to the side over the past month. This one was turned upside down and before I flipped it on the front I saw it with the microscope. Hehe. Just by chance.

9. furryfrog02

FYI, it'd be a DDR since you were checking the reverse ;)
    Die cracks are common going from either side of the memorial base. I'm assuming it is because of their proximity to the edge of the coin.

10. In regards to die cracks. So they have to be on a certain location to command some type of premium i.e. spitting horse. Reason I ask is because I did hold on to quite a few while searching. And your right. The 83 is notorious for it. Nice find.

11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Die cracks do not have to have "gimmicky" names for you to be able to sell them. A bidiot will buy anything! ~ Chris

12. LMAO

13. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Die cracks seem to be more collectible if they are rim to rim. I have been able to get between $18-$20.00 per lots of 100 plus shipping on ebay. Most of my sales on these minor novelties seem to go to folks on the traveling flea market circuit on the east coast. They usually charge 50 cents to a dollar each as a way of drawing in customers. Free enterprise at it's best. I'm not getting rich on it but every cent counts when you are on a fixed income.

14. Brandi Wilson

I said it right... I was checking the fronts of the coins and this one was flipped upside down onto it back or reverse side and as I was flipping to the front side to check it and before I could I saw it there on the back.

Anyways can't check anything tonight. I'm sitting in the dark with my phone being the only light I have until my husband gets home from work. The power is out and I don't have a flashlight or candles or nothing.

Lorenzo Jauregui and furryfrog02 like this.
  15. Roseland3

Roseland3 Active Member

Look close at all of your 1983s. I have found die cracks that run from the left upper corner of the Memorial thru the letters in United States also. Very nice/

16. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Yes these were fraught with cracks. Upper left and bottom left and right of memorial. Possibly something to do with getting the striking pressure correct while switching from Bronze to Zinc cents.

Spark1951 likes this.
  17. As I was doing research on the DDO and R's according to wexler most of them are but command a very small premium. Not worth getting grading but selling it as a raw coin in a nice grade with the reference number. Unless you're pulling a 67 or 68 then for certain grading them will be in play to get the most out of the moderate Doubling.

18. Tonkawa Bill

Tonkawa Bill Member

Draft saved Draft deleted