1983 penny die brake?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Rob336, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Rob336

Rob336 Member

I'm looking for some opinions on if y'all think this is a die brake or not. It under the date on the bottom of coat. Thanks for any help. Picture_20184301084332.jpg Picture_20184301084332.jpg Picture_20184301084332.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

The word is actually break not brake

I can't tell what the picture shows

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I am leaning against a cud, because of the evidence of a double rim to the left of it. Might be damage, could be from a finned rim.

5. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

Are you talking about what looks like a piece of the bust broke off at the bottom? Probably took a hit.

6. vintagemintage

vintagemintage Well-Known Member

There's a lot of die polishing marks in that area, maybe lost some detail on the bust over-polishing.

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

If you're talking about the separation there at the bottom point of the coat, that's the result of die polishing. The low relief area between the coat and the triangular segment has been polished down to the level the field creating the separation.

Stevearino and paddyman98 like this.
  8. Rob336

Rob336 Member

Thanks for the response. I found this coin roll hunting, and wasn't sure.

9. Rob336

Rob336 Member

I'm not arguing the points made. Just got a question. Would the piece be moved away from polishing? And why would someone polish it?

10. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

If you've any playdough or the like, take some and press a coin into it. The result will be akin to a die that produced the coin. Now imagine polishing some of the playdough (metal) away; some of the high points can become flattened to the same level as the fields and is pretty much what you're seeing here.

The piece wasn't moved, but part of the design connecting it to the rest of the bust was essentially removed.

Cheech9712, Nyatii, SmokinJoe and 3 others like this.
  11. Rob336

Rob336 Member

Makes sense thanks.

12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Are you serious? Play dough? Play dough was invented to make removing wallpaper easier. I think in the 1930's. Play dough is made from water, flour, salt, mineral oil and boric acid. Would you use that on your coins? :stop:

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  13. BooksB4Coins

Please try to set your feigned outrage aside long enough to actually think about what was said. You'll figure it out.

14. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

15. Rob336

Rob336 Member

16. Collecting Nut

No outrage here. You can't handle the truth!!!

17. Rob336

Rob336 Member

Alright people. I didn't meen to cause an spit. He was just using the text as an reference. It makes sense.

18. AUAGBUG

AUAGBUG Member

He was using the playdough analogy to (brilliantly) illustrate the die polishing scenario. Reading is fundamental.

Stevearino likes this.
  19. BooksB4Coins

The "truth"... ha! Bovine excrement would be a better descriptor.

Aside from what has already been said, did you happen to notice that I didn't suggest the OP place this coin or any potentially valuable coin into playdough? Just in case, let's revisit....

"If you've any playdough or the like, take some and press a coin into it."

Perhaps you're right, though. God forbid some circulated nothing cent pulled from one's pocket be pressed into playdough for a few seconds so that someone can better visualize a die. After all, with only tens of billions out there the loss of or even minor damage to a single one would be catastrophic, even apocalyptic! Oh, the horror!

Again, think before you attack. Reading comprehension is a virtue, sir.

20. Collecting Nut

Then try it as excitement is what you spew.

21. Collecting Nut

And I know it never occurred to you that novices on CT wouldn't know any better.

Draft saved Draft deleted