1983 P Washington Quarter

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by 51Caveman, Aug 1, 2020.

1. 51Caveman

51Caveman Active Member

I was searching through some rolls of 1983 P and D Quarters for pretty much any kind of error but was focusing on "Spitting Eagles". I came across this 83 P that just looked odd, Obverse and Reverse. I put the coin under my microscope and some issues popped out. Doubling on mostly United States of America on the reverse along with a weird blur where the Spitting line would be. Hopefully these pics will show up clearly.

1983 P Washingon Quarter Doubling1.jpg 1983 P Washingon Quarter Doubling2.jpg 1983 P Washingon Quarter Doubling3.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I'm an error coin novice, but my guess is a combination of a deteriorated die (orange peel) and too much pressure (MD).

Side note: When I've searched a lotta OBW rolls, I've typically found about four (4) different die pairs per roll. My guess is that four (4) presses feed each Mint bag...from which the rolls are created. I've never been to a Mint so I don't even know if that makes sense, but it's the only explanation I can think of to explain what I observe.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Serious die deterioration there.

5. Danomite

Danomite What do you say uh-huh

6. 51Caveman

51Caveman Active Member

What about that weird "burst" to the right of the Eagles beak? Any ideas?

7. Danomite

8. 51Caveman

51Caveman Active Member

Do all these issues make the coin a collectible or should I just throw it back in the roll of 83 P's?

9. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I think it makes a pretty nice "example" coin for future reference. Especially a 1983-P. They didn't make Mint sets in 1982 or 1983...just souvenir sets available at the Mints' gift shops.

Danomite likes this.
  10. Danomite

No added value. NAV

Draft saved Draft deleted