1983 p " spitting eagle" quarter???? Please

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Lisa228, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Lisa228

Lisa228 Member

Good news? Sorry for pic quality lightening n my phone...

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Looks like you found one! Congrats. :) I don’t see it having much of a premium, but it’s a fun find.

Inspector43 likes this.
  4. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Cool find !!

5. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

Call me Debbie downer but without a focused picture all I see is a damaged coin.

Hookman likes this.
  6. Lisa228

Lisa228 Member

Ty

Seattlite86 likes this.
  7. Lisa228

Lisa228 Member

Ty

8. Lisa228

Lisa228 Member

Not sure if that is a better picture... my first cool different find for me.. if so... only one out of about 400...

Attached Files:

9. Raizac

Raizac Well-Known Member

can you get closer to the eagles head and left-wing? i am thinking it's damaged as i do not see any other markings of a die clash to make the spitting eagle
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1983-p-25c-spitting-eagle/520032 you should see an upside-down Washington's neck and chin the neck make's the spitting and the chin is in the eagle's wing

10. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Maybe it's a "snotty" eagle. It's got something under that beak !

I did a quick study on Raizac's link and , to me, the shape of the line under the beak is the same. Let's remember that the coin in the link is an MS 66 and Lisa's coin is in the AU category. Obviously, the circulation wear could have worn off some of the markers shown on the MS 66.

I'm NOT an expert and will, of course, bow to expert opinions, so let's get some!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  11. LuckyCoin

LuckyCoin HappyHunting

If your really going 2get in2 the coin hunting invest in a USB micro scope evn the lower price ones give u better quality shots and really nice close ups. Sorry id have 2 agree with out a better close-up hard 2 say yes or no but im rooting 4u LOL ...Happy Huntingo_O

12. Lisa228

Lisa228 Member

Y'all r awesome thanks 4 replying.. your opinions really help.. this is the original shot no toning in the picture

Attached Files:

13. Seattlite86

I see enough on the left wing and under the beak to conclude that it’s a spitting eagle. You don’t need to buy a scope for good photos, but it is a great idea. Good lighting and a 10x loupe can do just as fine. Your coin has been circulated. I’m comfortable calling it a spitting eagle and I think you should be too.

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/3480/Spitting-eagle-1983-P-quarter/

14. Raizac

Raizac Well-Known Member

OVRER LAY og washington's quarter.png
    that article is WRONG and i can prove it here is an overlay of the quarter as you can see for the pic above and you can look at the article and see for your self. notice the left side of the quarter at the arrows points see the bridge of Washington's nose and then the back of his head now go to that article and zoom into that photo at the same point's and the and it depends on the rotation of Washington's head I.e the DIE CLASH not die crack as they put it

paddyman98 likes this.
  15. Raizac

Raizac Well-Known Member

16. Seattlite86

@Raizac I shared the link for the photo, not the article. Thanks for pointing out the fact that it’s a clash. The photo you shared matches the photo in the article, which also matches the OP’s coin. Looks like everyone are all in agreement. :)

17. Lisa228

Lisa228 Member

Y'all r awesome ty

LuckyCoin and Seattlite86 like this.
  18. Raizac

Raizac Well-Known Member

Seattlite86 likes this.
  19. Seattlite86

Hookman and Raizac like this.
  20. Raizac

Raizac Well-Known Member