1983 P Jefferson Nickel-Large Die Crack Reverse

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Rosalita, Nov 16, 2021.

1. Rosalita

Rosalita Active Member

Hi guys,

I have this 1983 P Jefferson Nickel and noticed that there is a large die crack on the reverse running from the rim, along the bottom of the Monticello and almost to the middle of the building. Are die cracks uncommon on Jefferson Nickels?

1DSCN8410a.jpg 2DSCN8406a.jpg Die Crack close up.jpg Die Crack Closeup3.jpg die crck close up2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

May be rim to rim. It comes out the bottom of the memorial on the left. Nice find.

4. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

I see two,one on each side of monticello that large anomaly looks like a huge gash-damage,no not really uncommon to occur.

5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

561,615,000 was the mintage of the 83 P Jefferson nickel.
    When ever you see high mintages of any series you're going to find lots of errors.
    I posted yesterday about the years of 63 and 64 Jefferson nickels.
    The 64 Jefferson nickel was probably the highest production ever of any series.
    When you're pumping out coins by the millions ,how many die pairs do you think you go through?
    As you're striking so many ,trying to get out of each die as many coins as possible.
    Shield nickels the very first nickels, their die had a life expectancy of < 10,000 strikes!
    After that the dies would just about explode.so many hits, in such a hard medal.
    The 83 p is probably another prime example of this....finding a 1964 P or D Jefferson full steps in a 68 grade is slim.
    Nice example of the 83 p with die breaks or cracks....whichever one prefer to call them.

6. Rosalita

Rosalita Active Member

Can you see the crack runs along the bottom of the Monticello building?

Attached Files:

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

You can see it running faintly through the left windows.

Inspector43 likes this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Die cracks are on any denomination that has worn dies, which your coin exhibits, will be prone to die cracks and other common minor errors.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
  9. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

@Rosalita
    Find my Lincoln cent thread there's an 83 p Jefferson nickel thats a prize for my number of likes given. The coin is an 25% off center strike.

10. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

No you can't. That's a little hit on that left column.

11. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I believe die cracks can be found on any coin, and as hard as the metal is for a nickel, I'm surprised we don't see more of them.
    Good find.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  12. Collecting Nut

You can see the die crack at the base of Monticello on the left. It looks like as faint perfect arch to the right side to me.

13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I wish people would stop calling these "errors". They are nothing more than die cracks caused by an overworked and abused die.

enamel7, Cheech9712 and expat like this.
  14. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Correct IMO. A crack is part of the life-cycle of the die, known as die stages, so not really an error

Cheech9712 likes this.
  15. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

If it does not meet the design acceptance criteria it is an error.

Cheech9712, john65999 and charley like this.
  16. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

That is a crack. There are cracks at both bases. They're just cracks at both bases and Memorial cents have them too at both bases. Not uncommon. The big crack on the building is interesting but I disagree it goes through to the base crack on the other end. I'll save you the time and say it, we'll agree to disagree.

17. Collecting Nut

That’s okay with me. And that’s the nice thing about this forum. We respect other members ideas. :)

Cheech9712 and Inspector43 like this.
  18. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Cuz overworked abused die has way to many letters

charley likes this.
  19. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Horsehockey! In what numismatic compendium did you read that?

Cheech9712 likes this.
  20. charley

charley Well-Known Member

Red Book: MISSTRIKES and ERRORS

TYPES OF ERROR COINS
    4. Defective Die-A coin showing raised metal from a large die crack, or small rim break.

I know stuff. I yam very wery smart.

Further;
    Red Book
    Appendix A
    Misstruck Coins and Error Pieces

"With the production of millions of coins each year, it is natural that a few abnormal pieces escape inspection and are inadvertently released for circulation, usually in original bags or rolls of new coins. These are not considered regular issues because they were not made intentionally....."

Inspector43 for the win.

john65999 and Cheech9712 like this.
  21. charley

charley Well-Known Member

The Red book. It is very clearly stated. I won't waste everybody's time typing it all out, and refer the members to
    Appendix A, starting with "Misstruck Coins and Error Pieces", first paragraph, and continuing with "Types of Error Coins", specifically "4. Defective Die".

Inspector43 for the win.

john65999 and Rosalita like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted