1983 newspaper article value "Bad pennies become Treasury nightmare

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Keepingcoolcollecting, May 4, 2016.

1. I have a cut out of the Sunday, March 13, 1983 AJC newspaper title "Bad pennies become Treasury nightmare". Just wondering if anyone can put a value to it? Is the value destroyed because it is cut out? 20160410_093223.jpg 20160410_093149.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Why do you think it would have any value at all? I've seen original Pearl Harbor newspapers that aren't worth much. Not sure why one article about changes to the "penny" would be. I have been wrong in the past before :)

Keepingcoolcollecting likes this.
  4. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I'm not honestly sure it has any real value to begin with. I wouldn't buy it. I might take it if you threw it in with a set of 1982 cents, but I definitely wouldn't buy it by itself.

5. I have no idea if it would or not but I figured maybe a collector would be interested. Couldn't find anything close on Google.

6. I just recently found some pennies my grandfather put aside and have started collecting and looking for rare coins and I come here for most answers so I decided what better place to ask?

Paul M. and Kentucky like this.
  7. Thanks for your thoughts.

8. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

Frame it nicely with a set of UNC 1982 cents varieties, it would make a good auction on eBay. Otherwise the value is around a penny.

9. I will and thanks.

10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Fun to read. Welcome to CT.

11. Thanks.

12. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

13. Thanks.

14. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

15. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

If you're into searching for rare coins, there do exist a very (very!) few 1983 and 1983-D cents struck on copper rather than copper-plated zinc planchets. You can tell by weight. The copper ones weight 3.11g. Plated zinc ones weigh 2.5g.

16. Ummm nope that was me. I threw it up first just out of curiosity and I figured I would just see what happens. I took it down and thanks to the advice I received on here I will make it more presentable with a few coins and repost. I hope if anyone gets it it will be on display. Maybe museum. My grandfather took the time to save it. Just trying to find it a good home.

Paul M. likes this.
  17. Kentucky

Just good-natured kidding (I hope you took it that way). Could be interesting and bring a couple of bucks if you put it in a frame with some nice backing and surrounded it with: 1981 copper, 1982 copper, 1982 Zinc and perhaps a 1983 zinc. Other cents at your discretion.

18. More good advice. I will keep everyone updated and post pic of the final piece. With the talk of taking pennies out of circulation hopefully one day it will make it somewhere special.

19. Kentucky

Since it is from your grandfather, you will at least have a nice piece of memorabilia.

20. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 5, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted