1983 Lincoln off center stamp

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Jason1367, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Jason1367

Jason1367 Member

Hey everyone,
    Just went to one of my buddies shop and was looking through a big can of Indian head cents to fill in my collection. Well as I was looking there was a 1983, off center error penny. It is in absolutely awesome condition. My estimate would be about AU50 ish. The date is still on the coin. Like I said, it is a beautiful error coin. And sense I was with my buddy the guy was really cool and was shocked I found it in his Indian head can. So he sold it to me for 5,bucks. I'm not big on errors so not exactly sure how much its worth. But even if it isn't worth what I paid its still a nice coin to hang onto. Can anyone who knows errors help me out and tell me if I got a good deal? Thanks

torontokuba likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

Can we somehow see it?

You can get a graded 1983 off center cent for $20. $5 sounds fair, I'd pay that.

4. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Sounds about right, though honestly for these types of coins I think buying most raw should suffice. I have a 198X about 60% off center that I bought for $10 raw.

$5 sounds fine.

torontokuba likes this.
  5. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

I'd pay $5 too. Good deal, and watch for more, especially in the 1950s, when demand for coinage was high, there was less automation at the Mints, and thus more errors produced and escaped into circulation. In the 1970s, there was a dealer in California who seemed to have them in quantity, they sold 10 off-center Lincolns for $9.95 and I still have a couple I bought. They made GREAT trading stock, costing me only a buck each.

6. Jason1367

Jason1367 Member

hey everyone,
    thank you very much for all the responses and some info on errors. Like I said, I don't know much on the error side of things and all the info was really helpful. Toron, im goin to upload a pic of the coin, I appoligize if it isn't a great pic but I had to take it on my phone. Ill upload it now and welcome any info anyone cares to share with me. again, thank you all so much for taking the time to respond.

torontokuba likes this.
  7. Jason1367

Jason1367 Member

IMG_20140616_214549_788.jpg

Attached Files:

jay4202472000 and torontokuba like this.
  8. torontokuba

Very nice. I picked this one up slabbed for $14, as an interesting piece to own. It's graded and attributed by ANACS as AU 58, 10% off-center...

Memorial cent error147.jpg
    Memorial cent error149.jpg

9. Jason1367

Jason1367 Member

oh wow, yes very nice coin! I just bought this one today and was possibly going to send it off for slab and grade. I pretty much got lucky to find it. I was digging through a bucket of indian heads just to fill the gaps in my collection and this one was just sitting there half way through the bucket. I haven't been too big on errors. I have a couple through out my collection but this one is by far the nicest one I have. That 88 you have is a great one too. Ive never sent anything to get slabbed before, how much would it run me to get this 83 done?

torontokuba likes this.
  10. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

If you don't have a membership for PCGS or NGC, your best bet would be ANACS. That would probably run you up $20+ in shipping and slabbing fees. If you submit it to PGCS or NGC (not sure why you would though, unless you are doing it just to have it slabbed) through a dealer, it would likely be $30-35.

My recommendation is keep it raw. To me it wouldn't be worth the cost of slabbing it, but it is your coin and ultimately up to you what you do with it.

11. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

I lay awake nights wondering why folks slab coins worth less than $50. Must be the thrill of getting them back in the mail.

12. torontokuba

Don't slab yours. If you think it would be neat to have one slabbed, look for a second one that is already slabbed and at a bargain price. It will cost less to get a second one in a slab, than mailing and slabbing yours.

For future grading of more expensive coins, it's sometimes worth checking with a local dealer, to see if he/she will let you submit your coin with their lot, for under $25.

13. Jason1367

Jason1367 Member

awe ok gotcha. and I don't get a thrill out of getting a coin back in the mail. to be honest ive only been collecting for about 2 years, and have never sent any coins out for grading. and I have very few errors, so I didn't know if it would help to get it slabbed or not. I just wanted to get a opinion of people who know more on the matter.

jay4202472000 and torontokuba like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted