1983 Lincoln cent... Not the big one

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Jjpe, Oct 3, 2021.

1. Jjpe

Jjpe Well-Known Member

Greetings all can you tell me what's in the back of Lincoln's neck above the t and the y in Liberty looks like little chunks of metal. My guess plating blisters now on the reverse looks like a couple die cracks. the last column on the right as you're looking at it looks like a crack going up towards the e in America. And at the bottom of the memorial the bottom of the foundation on each side looks like a die crack. I will blow up the pictures hopefully they're good enough thanks IMG_20211003_011811752_HDR~2.jpg IMG_20211003_012036220_HDR~2.jpg IMG_20211003_012036220_HDR~3.jpg

Penny Luster likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Those are called die chips by liberty and the reverse is a plating blister by E.R decent find.What is happening on both sides of the memorial,could it be a die clash?Or is it a coincidence the die cracks are in those spots.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Yep, those are all cracks on the reverse!

However, one might opine that it was a lightning strike through the "E" that went to ground on both ends of the base of the Memorial building.:wacky::rolleyes::eek:;)

5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Umm, what was the question ?

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Ask John McEnroe!

7. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

Yep! Chips and a crack!!! Almost sounds like a British meal!!!;);)

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  8. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Yes to multiple die cracks on the reverse but I'm more inclined to think plating bubbles on the obverse.

9. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

It's all cracked up, that's why you keep it. It's a little greased on that die, too, and they hadn't yet worked on it, which is also kind of nice. Overall, it's in good shape.

10. Jjpe

Jjpe Well-Known Member

Even though I'm a little late with a reply I had a laugh at some of the responses very nice people keep up the good work and thank you very much

Draft saved Draft deleted