1983 Korean Coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by voncoin, Feb 19, 2018.

1. voncoin

voncoin New Member

Hello,

Hoping someone can help, my Father-in-Law travelled & worked all over the World in the 1970's & 80's and has amassed quite a few coins. He gave us a big box of them including these from Korea, any idea on value or rarity?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Many Thanks

Evan

Attached Files:

mlov43 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Cool set. As for value, I just did a quick ebay search and they seem to be going for less than $10. Yours is in the OGP it looks like, so it may have more value. @mlov43 may have a better idea than me.

Fun fact - the building on the front of your case is the old Bank of Korea in Seoul. It's now a museum that has some pretty cool coins from all over the world. I went there several times during my year in Korea.

EDIT: Here is a site that has plenty of information on Korean coins. I do believe it is @mlov43 's site :p
    http://dokdo-research.com/bankofkoreamintsets.html

mlov43 likes this.
  4. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Unfortunately it's a somewhat more common date. We have a couple experts here who might be able to tell you if a Gem (like the 500 w) might get a substantial premium.

If not it's 10 or $15 on eBay.

5. voncoin

voncoin New Member

Thank you for the info, not the great find I thought it was! Pretty new to all this so everything seems rare & unusual to me at the moment!

6. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

This set looks very similar to some other South Korean coin set products made around the early 1980s period. The appearance of yours is NEW to me! I'm so glad you shared it here.

This ~may~ be a rarer set. At South Korea's preeminent numismatic auction, Hwadong auctions, these have sold for 100,000 KRW to 200,000 KRW (around $90 to $190 USD). That was six years ago, but they may be selling higher nowadays. If I really wanted to sell it, I would put it up at eBay with a starting bid at $80, and hope that some Koreans would get in a bidding war over it. Actually, I would probably not sell it now, because I'd more likely use it to barter with a friend in Korea who loves these kinds of sets. Or I might hold onto it, betting that it might garner a higher price at a later date.

More about the set: It has the BOK name on it, but I think it's still a third-party coin set maker (made for sale to tourists), as it says "Bank of Korea issue." If it was an "official" BOK product, it would just say, "Bank of Korea" in English and maybe even Korean, it would have the BOK logo on it, and maybe even "한국조폐공사 제조" (made by the South Korean Mint).

I'd keep it in dry storage away from light and I'd avoid trying to "fix" anything on it, even cleaning the case. Again, thanks for sharing it!

furryfrog02 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted