1983 Hologram Photo Cert. W@W !! L@@K !! Mu$t $ee

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by heavycam.monstervam, Jun 2, 2018.

1. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Has anyone ever seen these before ??
    I guess there was a grading service that would grade & image the coins, and included a front and back hologram on the certificate. This is definitely one of the coolest vintage numismatic items i have ever seen.
    A buddy of mine paid $1 for 2 of these at the local flea market. Unfortunately the coins werent included with the cert. Ive never even heard of such a thing. So.......
    Slab collectors, is there any value here?? @Conder101 @Burton Strauss III @ddddd 20180602_073747.jpg 20180602_073843.jpg 20180602_073807.jpg

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    dwhiz and ddddd like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

Whoah, that is beyond cool. The quality of the photo looks very good, so in hand this must be impressive.

heavycam.monstervam likes this.
  4. ddddd

ddddd Member

That is the first I’ve seen of one of these. Definitely cool! There is certainly some value to it.

Here is a post I found from @Conder101 dating back to September 2004:

“Ohio State show in Columbus Ohio last weekend. I don't usually have high expectations for a show, I'm lucky if I find one slab variety I need and I don't think I've found a coin in almost a year. but at Columbus I found one new SEGS variety I hadn't seen before, a new minor PCGS variety, and a new old company! I had heard some stories long ago about this one but I had never seen one and didn't think they had ever really gotten started.

NLG (Numismatic Laser Graphics) Ownd by Pelco Coin Galleries this service is a variation of the photocertificate service. The coin is in an air-tite holder, card, and oversized vinyl flip stapled to the "certificate". The certificate is a greenish cardbaord holder that instead of photographs, has a white light hologram of each side of the coin contained therein. The label with the seial number, description, registration,date of certification, grade, and owners value is at the bottom. The back has the company name but it is usually covered by the label folded over from the front side.

The interesting thing about this company is the use of the holograms. the coins can be magnified and still retain their three dimentional appearance, and as they are tiped the images still display rotating cartwheel luster just as the coins do. Not flat an fixed like a regular photo does. tipping the hologram allows "light" to play across and highlight different areas just like when you examine a real coin. The one thing it can't do though is reproduce th true color. Being a white light hologram the image is seen in red and green.”

dwhiz and heavycam.monstervam like this.
  5. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

I actually did a similar thing for my 7th grade science project. I took holograms of a silver dollar for testing purposes. They came out pretty well, but I don’t have any on hand to show.

heavycam.monstervam and ddddd like this.
  6. Milesofwho

Trying to take photographs of holograms are, in my experience, just plain awful. I can never get it to show up right. However, this phone is different from the one I had two years ago. I guess I’ll take a shot at it when I get home.

heavycam.monstervam likes this.
  7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

That is only the third example I have seen. (I own the other two, mine have the coins as well.) I consider this certificate to be fairly rare - Edited.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2018
    heavycam.monstervam and ddddd like this.
  8. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Well, i oddly enough i know the owner of Pelco's son. Ive had the NCI certs registered to them. Theyve moved, and dont go by Pelco anymore but maybe, just maybe their is some new old stock lying around somewhere?

ddddd likes this.
  9. Milesofwho

Here is my dad’s hologram, exposed with a green laser. This image was taken with an overhead light source. It is almost directly above it. If the light source was at the bottom of the hologram, the image would be elongated.
    5D78D321-C85C-418A-B6A0-EDC30E78BC93.jpeg
    Here is my 1943 S penny hologram, made the same way yours was, that is, with a red laser. It also was developed like an old photograph, which is how they made them in the 80s as well, I believe. 8EB63581-540E-4C1D-858B-9EC6D81A3F56.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    ddddd likes this.
  10. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

now this is cool! If you have anymore info, please provide it!

Draft saved Draft deleted