1983 DDO and die clash penny

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by GH#75, Jul 1, 2021.

1. GH#75

GH#75 Trying to get 8 hours of sleep in 4. . .

I posted this a while back and the answers were inconclusive as my loupe was dead and I needed batteries... I think it's a doubled die. I can see the split on the letters L and I in liberty and T in trust.

The die clash is the Lincoln memorial behind Abe's neck and you can see an outline of Abe's head on the back. (Pictures don't show it too well, but that's not the focus of this thread)

IMG_20210317_205048882.jpg IMG_20210317_205318193.jpg
    IMG_20210701_201049601~2.jpg IMG_20210701_201049601~4.jpg IMG_20210701_201002760_HDR~2.jpg

Please don't say it's nothing without an explanation of what I'm seeing.

CygnusCC and potty dollar 1878 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Sorry, but the pictures aren't clear enough to determine anything IMO.
    Base on your pictures, it doesn't match anything on variety vista.

Heavymetal, spirityoda and GH#75 like this.
  4. GH#75

Who says it has to be on variety vista? Lol, there are probably hundreds of undiscovered varieties. Not to say mine is one, but it looks like the 005 listed on varietyvista, except mine was struck much later than the ones listed - therefore the die clash.

I cant take better pictures as thats the best my phone camera will take. Maybe I can get a microscope or something.

5. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Well, after 36 years, I'd hope that most of the "major" varieties would've been found/documented.
    But like you said, there are probably hundreds of undiscovered varieties.

That being the case, the pictures provided don't make me lean in your direction. You can get a cheap USB microscope for like $20USD that will take clear pictures.

Not saying you should buy one for this coin...but perhaps it wouldn't hurt.

GH#75, Heavymetal and spirityoda like this.
  6. GH#75

Well, my dad's phone apparently takes much better pictures than mine.... Here are a few clearer photos. Thank you for your patience. If these aren't good enough for you, then too bad, I'm going on vacation today and won't be back until next week ;).
    IMG_20210701_213058~2.jpg IMG_20210701_213031~2.jpg

EDIT: I'll look online for a microscope like you said.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  7. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I'm guessing DDD or Die Deterioration Doubling ?

GH#75 likes this.
  8. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Edited : I meant DDD . :confused:

GH#75 likes this.
  9. Shrews1994

Shrews1994 Collecting is my passion.

It's not doubled died. It looks like die deterioration doubling. Die clash? A little.

10. Shrews1994

Shrews1994 Collecting is my passion.

On the reverse and obverse. I see a die clash nice find but Definitely not a double die

11. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

GH#75 likes this.
  12. GH#75

Nothing matches perfectly to any of the DDO varieties - The notching in "LIBERTY" and the last T in "TRUST" are less dramatic on any of the varietis shown on variety vista. I dont know if this double die is listed anywhere. I will check wexler though.

13. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Your coin definitely has some die deterioration.. So any that might be close could be the right one. Yours could be a later die state than pictured. I am not saying your coin is a DDO, it is just that the notching and split serifs are what we look for on Doubled dies.

GH#75 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted