1983 D misplaced mint mark?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Lorenzo Jauregui, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Going through a roll of nickels I ended up finding a 1945 p nickel and ran into another nickel 1983 d and one feature caught my attention. I looked at it from different angles and compared it to other Nichols of the same decade and could visibly see nothing that would resemble what I saw. Hopefully you agree.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Just damage. IMHO

4. That damage sure does resemble a "D" though.

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

What the heck are you talking about? The mintmark is a "D"! It's just that it is damaged. ~ Chris

6. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I think OP is referencing the Star between Liberty and 1983 .. as being a "D" and not a Star.

or maybe not. I'm not quite sure how to correlate all his pics of the damaged mm to the title and stuff with a 1945 nickel .. unclear ...

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

His explanation is totally confusing. I'm surprised that he hasn't confused himself!
    ~ Chris

8. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

No. Most of the close-up shots are of the mint mark and not the star. Pretty sure the point of interest is the mint mark. Plus, the pics are of two different coins, one is a 83' and the other is a 81'.

Spark1951 likes this.
  9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

That's a D mintmark with Damage.

Martha Lynn likes this.
  10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Don't you just love these guessing games... (sarcasm)

11. Sorry guys. If you were to look at the the location is in the center of the pony tail NW of the Mint Mark with the bottom serif poiting West and the and the curviture of the D facing Downward.

12. Lol. Sorry guys. If you were to look at the the location is in the center of the pony tail NW of the Mint Mark with the bottom serif poiting West and the and the curviture of the D facing Downward.

13. Sorry guys. If you were to look at the the location is in the center of the pony tail NW of the Mint Mark with the bottom serif poiting West and the and the curviture of the D facing Downward.

14. Yeah you're right I thought it would be obvious but obviously only to me since I'm the one that found it. Apologies.
    Sorry guys. If you were to look at the the location is in the center of the pony tail NW of the Mint Mark with the bottom serif poiting West and the and the curviture of the D facing Downward. I provided distance to close up. Once you see it you'll understand what I see.

15. I provided distance to close up. Once you see it you'll understand what I see.

16. I provided distance to close up. Once you see it you'll understand what I see.

17. I thought that it would be on obvious, but obviously only to me since I'm the one that found it. Apologies.
    Sorry guys. Now if you were to look at the location is in the center of the pony tail NW of the Mint Mark with the bottom serif poiting West and the and the curviture of the D facing Downward. I provided distance to close up. Once you see it you'

18. Clawcoins

If you look at the D
    and look to the left
    you can see this dark streak going from left through the D
    so I'm guessing something came from the left, squished the left topmost of the D the most and rolled over the top of the rest of the D

most of the time things just take a direct hit. Here, it has a tail.
    upload_2020-3-4_15-46-32.png

Of course, that is probably just *one instance* of damage, excluding circulation wear, etc.

I highlighted in yellow the more obvious damage marks to the nickel
    upload_2020-3-4_15-46-3.png

19. Clawcoins

and that star just kinda looks like a D until I explode the image. LOL
    upload_2020-3-4_15-50-48.png

20. So you can see the inverted D foematiof in the center of the pony tail.

21. Clawcoins

same with the 1981 D .. it took a hit which makes it look different.
    upload_2020-3-4_15-53-40.png

Draft saved Draft deleted