1983 D 3.11g

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by MaxG, Mar 17, 2017.

1. MaxG

MaxG Active Member

Hello everyone, ok so i got something going on. Talking to a fella who claims to have the 1983 D penny weighing out at 3.0 g by the looks of the pics he doesnt have a 0.1 scale.
    We havent talked on a price just yet, it has also not been graded.I will be having the coin weight out to be sure its at 3.11g, grade Looks about AU. ill Post a pic soon. My question is, How much would some of you be willing to pay for a coin like that to hopefully make a profit at an auction?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MaxG

MaxG Active Member

This is it. sorry cracks are from my phone screen.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Don't pay anything for it until you get the correct weight!
    The D mint mark looks funny. Maybe a bit is Zinc Rot forming! That only occurs in Copper Plated Zinc Cents :sour:

5. just a penny.. right

just a penny.. right Active Member

Just my opinion. Stay away unless it has already been third party graded. Don't be a sucker..

6. KarenTeed

KarenTeed New Member

I know I am late to this. However I have a question about the 1983 penny. Are all 1983 D pennies that weigh 3.1 worth more then face value? If so what's the first step in getting a coa or equivalent for them? I'm just 99% positive they can't be rare and I'm comprehending it incorrectly as I found 2 today. Thanks

7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Supere rare. Start your own thread and pictures are very important. You need to provide us with evidence!

Welcome to CoinTalk

8. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

There are only a few 1983 pennies that are 3.1 grams.
    Unlikely to find 1 in a lifetime, much less 2 at the same time.
    Photos, and an accurate scale on your finds will help.
    Currently, there are only around 10 off metal (modern zinc/copper cents) out of 86 billion minted. Which means you are 30x more likely to win Powerball.
    Here are some that are known:
    2 1982-D small date copper
    3 1983
    1 1983-D
    3 1989-D
    1 1990-D

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Looks normal to me.

10. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

That was from 3 years ago. The last few posts are current and not the photo coin
    which looks like copper plated zinc to me as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted