1983 copper penny weight 3.1 grams need help to sell

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by mike solomon, Mar 29, 2017.

?

think its real

Poll closed Apr 28, 2017.
  1. 10

100.0%
  2. 10

100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mike solomon

mike solomon New Member

trying to see if this is real

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. sam_raph

sam_raph Active Member

4. mike solomon

mike solomon New Member

thanks it took forever for my phone to focus

5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Congrats if it is indeed the real deal. Might be conservable also if that stuff will come off. Once you are positive do not try and conserve it yourself, let the TPG do it for you. Keep us posted on this please.

6. mike solomon

mike solomon New Member

7. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

With the understanding that looks can be deceiving, I'm not so sure about this one... I am also curious as to what the reverse looks like, and if there could be another explanation for the weight (if true).

8. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

A lot of controversy about this for sure. Even the experts are not certain if this was done by the Mint with new stock or if it was done on a foreign planchet (s).

9. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Yeah, 1983 copper is one of my white whale coins. I have hunted through a ton of 1983's. There is a slight difference in appearance between copper cents and copper plated zinc. My first impression is that this is copper plated zinc. Cant tell from the pic but maybe a slight sign of plating bubbles. The 3 in the date appears to have a sign of shifted plating as well. I really need a pic of the reverse. But im leaning towards zinc. Sorry

Also check your scale, make sure it is reading right.

tommyc03 likes this.
  10. BooksB4Coins

Bingo!

11. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Your title implies that you weighed the Cent. Can you take a picture of it on the scale showing the weight? o_O

tommyc03 likes this.
  12. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Did you weigh this inside the 2X2? If so, weigh it out of the 2X2 and see if it comes to within the tolerance level of the zinc version.

13. mike solomon

mike solomon New Member

i don't see any bubbles like the other 83 i have here's another shot and a pic of the reverse side

Attached Files:

14. mike solomon

mike solomon New Member

Attached Files:

15. mike solomon

mike solomon New Member

the one on the left has bubbles the one on the right doesn't

Attached Files:

16. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Sorry. From your pics I have to say it's zinc. There appears to be a raised spot above the 3 in the date. Also in you first picture of the obverse, if you start between the 1 and 9 and shift you eyes down until you reach Lincoln's suit, there appears to be another raised spot. I could be wrong about that one, but there is a bubble above the 3 for sure. And also the plating shift around the 3.

17. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

It looks like a little zinc rot between the 9 and the 8.

18. mike solomon

mike solomon New Member

so you don't think i should get it checked?

19. BooksB4Coins

The effort is certainly appreciated. However, clear, in focus, and well lit photos are needed. I realize this can often be easier said than done, but useful photos could be very helpful. Thus far I'm far from convinced, and in fact, more skeptical than I earlier was. What little I can see does not suggest a "copper" cent.

tommyc03 likes this.
  20. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Did you actually weigh it? How do you know that the weight is 3.1 grams? Show the Cent on your scale please.

tommyc03 likes this.
  21. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

No. We're saying we need more evidence.
    A pic of it on a scale would go a long way in determining what it truly is.
    Better lit and in focus pics are needed, too. Crop out all of the extraneous background so we can actually see just your penny.

tommyc03 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted