1983 cent with unusual brockage -- seeking permission to use images

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by mikediamond, Apr 3, 2019.

1. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

In March 2007, Rasputin41 posted images of a 1983 cent with an unusual brockage of Lincoln's bust on the reverse face. I would like to use them for an upcoming Coin World column. For some reason I was forbidden to start a private conversation with him. So I hope he sees this post or that someone knows who he is and can contact him for me. Here are some of the images he provided.

Odd_brockage_rev.jpg

Odd_brockage_obv.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Looks like the last time he was on CoinTalk was back in 2011..

4. mikediamond

After 12 years I finally solved the mystery of this unusual-looking brockage. It was generated by a huge dropped filling derived from the obverse (hammer) die. The discovery of second, nearly identical specimen allowed me to put all the pieces together. My article on this second specimen will appear in Coin World in about 2 weeks. Other unrecognized dropped fillings are undoubtedly sitting in folks' collections (I found one in my collection the other day, thanks to my recently expanded perspective).

5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Very cool looking brockage. So is it likely that the coin previous to these was missing some of it's copper plating?

6. mikediamond

No. All dropped fillings are generated by compacted layers of "grease" (die fill) that detach from the die face and shift position.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted