1983 2 1/2 Dollar

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Illinois Newby, Dec 28, 2017.

1. IMG_20171227_173525441.jpg Is this the real deal or have I been spoofed? IMG_20171227_173545187.jpg

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Where does it say 1983? Always post both sides of any coin you have questions about. Also show the edge.

4. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Please post pic of other side of the coin.

5. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Is it roughly the size of a dime or cent? If it is, it may be the real deal.

6. Sorry, I;m new at this and thought I had both sides.

7. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

It's 1893 not 1983. Looks real to me. Try posting a picture with the entire holder visible.

8. Closer to dime size

Attached Files:

9. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Looking better by the minute.

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  10. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

Looks real, but can't be sure from pics alone. Also looks to be uncirculated. Handle with care (no bare fingers, no metal, no sliding or rubbing, no cleaning ... among other things). Is it in an album or a plastic holder? Where did you get it?

Welcome!

Cal

11. In my Fathers collection. It is in a plastic holder, can you see the pic with the dime and penny? they are on top of the holder with the coin inside.

12. It is in a plastic holder, so I will not be touching it. Should this be professionally graded? How would I go about getting that done?

13. Do you have any suggestions as to proceeding with this?

14. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

It's a 1893 $2 1/2 gold coin. It is worth at least the melt value of the gold, potentially more.

15. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Looks to be very high grade...could be a 1k coin. Find a dealer near you whom you trust and have him send it to ngc/pcgs. It will cost you 50 or so.

16. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I’m not seeing any obvious signs it’s not real. From the pics. Details and luster look good. Should weigh 4.18g a not rare date but not super common either many of the 1890s 2 1/2 dollars have low mintages yet not much premium from what I’m seeing definitely uncirculated and not seeing any obvious signs of cleaning. A nice coin. Well worth having graded likely worth $350-$500 anyway depending on grade

17. Mainebill

I’m seeing a few marks which would put it in the 62-3 category. Ive seen and had a lot of these that look nearly flawless like this in that grade pcgs has a pop of nearly 500 between 62 and 64 so not likely a $1000 coin more likely half that

C-B-D likes this.
  18. Mainebill

Find someone. A dealer here or at home that submits to pcgs or ngc and get it sent in for grading. Personally I prefer pcgs but that’s a matter of opinion

19. mikenoodle

why should this coin be graded? Is there a huge jump in value on a certified 1893 $2 1/2 coin? Or is that just for authentication? Because authentication can be done for far less cost to the OP.

20. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I wouldn't trust a stranger with a thousand dollar coin, but that's just me.
    JUST DON'T CLEAN IT.

LA_Geezer likes this.
  21. mikenoodle

but you'd take a coin that's worth less than $1,000 and spend almost $100 to certify it with no upside to doing so??? that makes no sense

CamaroDMD likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted