1982P Nickel

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Tiffany Garrett, May 24, 2017.

?

Possible Double Die

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Tiffany Garrett

Tiffany Garrett New Member

Nickel on left possible double die, and normal 1982P on right.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

your pics arent that great but from what I can see is circulation wear and die wear as well.

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

5c + 5c = 10 Cents!

ButterKing_ likes this.
  5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

6. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

uh oh...you said double.

paddyman98 likes this.
  7. dog_pound

dog_pound Supporter! Supporter

Ok, ok, ok. In order to save paddy from further ridiculous abuse for providing a public service. I will say it.

The term is actually doubled die, not double die. Very common mistake, however in the spirit of professional development I thought I would point out the difference in nomenclature/jargon

This has been a public service announcement, we now return you to your to regularly scheduled thread
    :)

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    paddyman98 likes this.
  8. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Gasp! How "pedantic"! Have you nothing better to do than to try to show your "superiority"? ;)

I kid, I kid...

paddyman98 and dog_pound like this.
  9. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

My apologies for the earlier inside joke and for getting off track, but to address your question; is it safe to assume you're questioning the coin due to the thickness of the lettering? If so, it's likely due to a mix of die deterioration and circulation. Below are a couple of links that may be helpful to you. One explains exactly what a doubled die, both classic and "single squeeze" (for you, gemmy :)) is, along with how they're made, the different types, etc. The other link explains the most commonly encountered forms of "worthless doubling" (worthy of no premiums and generally non-collectible) and is, believe it or not, just as important to understand how to identify the different types in comparison to the former.

http://doubleddie.com/58222.html

http://doubleddie.com/144801.html

If new to this all, to the hobby or varieties in particular, please don't allow yourself to become disillusioned. Although learning doesn't happen as quickly as I'm sure you'd like, if you enjoy what you're doing, the reward can well be worth the investment of the time and energy necessary to do so. In fact, we've another young lady member who did just that, and since getting over the hump, has become an excellent numismatist and has had a number of fantastic finds. Perhaps she'll stop in to share some of her experiences and/or any advice she may have. She sets a fine example of what can happen if/when one puts their mind to it. @Sheila Ruley

Sheila Ruley likes this.
  10. Sheila Ruley

Sheila Ruley The short blonde girl

Yes, he would be correct. Pay attention and take all the advice you can. If you are really interested in this, you will find that you can find many different varieties. It is a lot of work and a lot of time put into it, but you can get the best results and can get somewhere with it if you really tried. Don't get discouraged so easily. You can go through thousands of coins before you find one single thing. Like I said, if you are serious about it, you can take the time to learn what is what and about how the coins are made. There are lots of websites and a lot of reading to do as well as books you can buy. I strongly suggest that you have a thick skin on here. Sometimes it can get pretty rough. These guys take Coin collecting very seriously. You can joke a lot as well. Most of them have a great sense of humor and are very funny.
    I have had a few great finds. I have 1 published in a magazine, on line and coming out in the newest Cherry Pickers Guide of Die Varieties. I am also getting another one published in a magazine in July. Great things can happen when you put your mind to it. Please study and familiarize yourself with all information you can. I find this very relaxing and extremely exciting. Welcome to the forum!

furham likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted