1982D zinc small date DDR / RPM ?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Coin Addict 2018, Jul 16, 2018.

1. I found what appears to be the very first ever 1982D small date zinc DDR/ RPM ... And a 1983 DD coin with the same kind of doubling that I found from the Lincoln Cent Resource under TOP 50 DOUBLED DIES . And i was wondering if anyone has ever seen one of these before and what is the value of this particular coin ?

Screenshot_20180715-225910.png IMG_20180715_224643.jpg IMG_20180715_224040.jpg IMG_20180715_231455.jpg IMG_20180715_224822.jpg IMG_20180715_224815.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Read it again carefully..
    It says DOUBLED DIES.. not DOUBLE DIES.. double die is incorrect

Newbie69 likes this.
  4. Well thanks for the spelling correction on that typo paddyman98 . LOL

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

All the doubling on your coin looks flat and shelf like. The secondary devices are much lower. I don't see it as a DDR or a RPM.

6. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

quote from
    https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/coin-mechanical-doubling-768461

fyi, read the last paragraph over and over again.
    = = = = =
    Definition
    Mechanical doubling, also called machine doubling or strike doubling, a form of doubling which appears on a coin and is easily confused with doubled die strikes. On a true doubled die coin, the doubling comes from a mistake in the process used to make the coin die itself. In mechanical, or machine doubling, the doubled image results from mechanical issues during the striking of the coin, such as the coin shifting during striking, or the die itself being jarred out of position as a result of vibration or improper coin press maintenance.

Mechanical, machine, and strike doubling are all considered by purists to be forms of damage, and are therefore not collectible as an error coin.

See also: Doubled Dies and Die Abrasion Doubling

Examples
    Most of the time, when novices think they have found a new type of doubled die, they've actually found a coin exhibiting worthless mechanical doubling instead.

7. Well I would agree with you on that being some cases Clawcoins ... However ... can you please give us novices a lesson on the clear raised doubling that is on the S in the photo which has two those round S's entwined together or is that machine doubling as well ?

8. Oh and this is the S that I am referring to if there is any misunderstanding ... Because I probably would have simply dismissed the entire coin as mechanical doubling as well like some novices but the S Clearly doesn't fit the form of mechanical doubling
    Screenshot_20180722-035729~2.png
    IMG_20180715_224357.jpg

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  9. I'm no expert ... but does that look like the product of mechanical doubling where the die is jarred out of position as a result of vibration or does that look like two separate raised S's intertwined together . I hope everyone can see this clearly ? :banhappy:

10. Thank you for the sincere and honest opinion Pickin and Grinin . Infact i always appreciate helpful and mature advice . But did you notice the raised letter S that is entwined together ... And in all honesty do you think the doubling there is machine doubling or two raised S's that are entwined together ?

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  11. Pickin and Grinin

Machine doubling can happen in any direction even multiple on the same coin.

12. I know that machine doubling can go in many different directions however that wasn't my question ... Does doubling there appear to be machine doubling or do they appear to be two RAISED doubled S's that are entwined together ?

13. Pickin and Grinin

The secondary S is flat and shelf like. MD

Newbie69 likes this.
  14. And here is few more good photos that some might possibly say is flat and shelf like ... LOL

IMG_20180722_055236.jpg
    IMG_20180722_061217.jpg

15. Whoa ... Wait a second . So your saying that you see flat and shelf like on the secondary S as well ?!?!?!? And there's nothing raised or round about it ?!?!?!?

16. Pickin and Grinin

The whole reverse of your coin shows MD, why would the S be the only letter that is raised? I have searched many a Denver zinc coin, I live here. Ive tossed many that look like yours.
    See those bubbles they happen because air/ gasses is trapped between the Zinc and the copper plating. You wouldn't be the first to mistake a well placed blister for doubling.

17. On second thought Pickin and Grinin ... don't bother to answer that question because I know that if you say you see flat shelf like doubling there then your more then likely not to going notice the split serifs at the tail of the S showing that there are TWO separate S's there which doesn't occur with machine doubling .

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  18. Pickin and Grinin

You'll need to provide better photos, some that show depth and detail, from strait above, not at an angle.

19. Newbie69

Newbie69 Doesn't make cents!

20. Newbie69

Newbie69 Doesn't make cents!

I also think a good indicator of MD is the fact that the MD is in the MM as well as reverse. (82 MM were still hand punched) Generally you would not see this in true DD. Keeping in mind this depends on position and class of doubling. JM2C

21. Ok . In these two photos that I posted earlier there is nothing Flat and shelf like there . Infact i can't help but notice that it seems like some people appear to be intentionally avoiding what is being pointed out such as the RAISED DOUBLING and SPLIT SERIF that is showing at the tail of the S which can not be caused by mechanical doubling and not to mention the fact that the S and the Lincoln memorial building both have ROUND RAISED DOUBLING that is in no shape or form Flat or shelf like ... And so with that being very clear . I probably should just drop this discussion and seek input from other Coin enthusiast who have no desire to ignore specific details from the enlarged photos . Like the SPLIT SERIFS And RAISED DOUBLING on different areas of the coin that are very easy to see and therefore very hard to mistake for anything else ...

Screenshot_20180723-013015.png Screenshot_20180723-013411.png

Draft saved Draft deleted