1982 U.S. Mint Souvenir Sets

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by JustAnotherCoin, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Does anyone know if the pennies in the 1982 souvenir sets are copper or zinc or did some sets get a random mix?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Good question

4. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

Some information in this Coin Week article.

From what little I can find, it looks like the 1982 souvenir sets included zinc cents, but someone else may have more information.

5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

That's an interesting question. i would think that they probably had to be made very early in the year, because they would be needed for sale to mint visitors in early January. So I would suspect they would be copper.

6. onecenter

onecenter Member

I checked my own 1982-dated Philadelphia and Denver Souvenir Sets and they both contain 95% copper cents. My combined Krause-created sets for 1982 also have 95% copper cents.

It would be interesting if any of these 1982 sets contained zinc cents.

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Can you post photos of the sets including the packaging?

8. onecenter

onecenter Member

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The 1982 and 1983 Mint sets are not from the US Mint. There are a third party called Krause Publications. The US Mint did not make Mint sets for these years.

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The set in the second link he posted are Krause sets and they are not from the US Mint, but the set in the first link WAS made by the US mint. They were sold in the mint gift shops and not on their mailing lists. (and I think the price on that 82 Denver souvenir set is a very good price)

11. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

How did you weigh them?

Small or Large Date?

lol

Cheech9712 likes this.
  12. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Your answer made me ponder about copper 83's in the souvenir sets. Then thought the mint started zinc in late 82. The minds a terrible thing to waste on what ifs. Thanks. I used my brain today. Hope i get to use it again tomorrow

Draft saved Draft deleted