1982 small date penny??

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Kkraemer, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Kkraemer

Kkraemer New Member

Found 2 of the 1982 (P) smal date pennies today. This is the nicer one. Can they actually be as valuable as i hear? Should i keep them?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TyCobb

TyCobb A product of PMD

Not sure what you heard on the value (assuming graded and quite high), but ungraded, they can be picked up for just a couple of dollars on ebay. However, in terms of face value, it's quite the premium. :joyful:

If you're planning on actually collecting, I would keep it (it sure looks better than the small date I have lol).

Here's just a random listing I found for a copper P: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-P-COP...h=item4d6d380caa:g:16UAAOSwKXdaeNLr:rk:7:pf:0

4. Kkraemer

Kkraemer New Member

I do have a interest in collecting. Ive found some odd coins like the pooping horse haha. But i dont understand what makes a coin valuable. I saw a few videos stating the 1982 small date copper penny was a "rare and valuable" penny. If you type in 1982 small date penny into google you see ones for hundreds of dollars. So what makes a coin worth big buck?

5. TyCobb

TyCobb A product of PMD

YouTube is just click-bait videos and not a good source.

The 1982 small date is "rare" because not many were minted in that year. Copper was transitioned to zinc and and there was also different dies (large date/small date). Small date was the lesser minting of that year which makes it rarer.

http://www.lincolncentresource.com/smalldates/1982.html

The one for hundreds of dollars is probably like I said, graded and extremely high. As with anything, it's only worth what someone will pay for it. I imagine there are many coins that caught a hefty sum at one point, but are harder to get that same value today. The last true collectible I did prior to this was ~20 years ago with die cast cars with my Uncle. Ebay single handedly destroyed that market because everything was way more obtainable and prices didn't just drop, they bottomed out.

And of course, take what I say with a grain a salt and hopefully actual pros will weigh in.

6. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Only the 1982-D small date copper. And there's only one of them.
    Although your Philly small date appears to be in good condition.
    I would save it, but it's not worth anything.

7. Brian K Briggs

Brian K Briggs New Member

If you weighed the coin and it is 3.1 gms, and the small date appears to be valid, i have seen so many of the 1982 large and small date pennys my eye is very accurate. The value is due to the changes the mint underwent due to the cost of copper in 1982. the new formula was less copper and more zinc changing the weight to 2.5 or greater gms. You should get it graded in order to see and receive any money for it. Good Luck And nice find.

8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Singular - Penny
    Plural - Pennies

Not Pennys :yack:

9. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

You should not get it graded. That is ridiculous advice.
    You don't spend $30 for grading on a coin that is worth at most .10 cents.
    And probably just .01 cent.

Oldhoopster and paddyman98 like this.
  10. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I also say.. Nope

Oldhoopster likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted