1982 Small Date Penny MAD?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by zachattack, Apr 24, 2018.

1. zachattack

zachattack Member

95D3D1EE-7F8F-4717-9B4A-277E2D3A3799.jpeg E3584855-8F9D-4023-BCE1-8E4681A618F1.jpeg

I am not quite good with the 1982 pennies yet. I see a little misalignment on the obverse. Could this be worth a little more than face value. In really good condition.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Misalignment that does not involve devices commands no premium.
    IMO, it's a large date.
    upload_2018-4-24_17-2-32.png

4. zachattack

zachattack Member

It looks like a small date because of the curve on the 2

5. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

It's absolutely a small date.

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Basset hound likes this.
  7. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

I was looking at the width of the 2.
    I stand corrected.

Basset hound likes this.
  8. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

At least he is able to figure out which are small dates and which are not. That's a step in the right direction and far above quite a few new posters :p

rickmp likes this.
  9. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

The 2 is kind of funny looking in the provided photo, but even if we ignore the date, the rest of the lettering tells us it is indeed a small date.

And yes, it is misaligned.

10. furryfrog02

11. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Look how weird the 8 is in the small date, like a snowman with a tiny head and a fat bottom.

12. zachattack

zachattack Member

13. furryfrog02

Yours, no. The ones posted in my thread would probably sell for a few bucks.

14. zachattack

zachattack Member

15. furryfrog02

No. Unless like Kurt said and it is high grade.

16. zachattack

zachattack Member

BA7FFBA2-9613-48BF-A07A-BD07329C4DDD.jpeg D20812B0-BD1B-46B5-A63B-952A5F520EDC.jpeg

Attached Files:

17. BooksB4Coins

The coin shown in the OP is not worth a premium, nor is the one shown in the quoted post. Neither is what (in context) could be considered "high grade", nor from what I can see do they display any error or variety that would make them worthy of a premium.

I don't know why you're so concerned with "worth" nor is it any of my business, but I will say that unless you're asking solely for the purpose of valuing coins you may like and/or collect, you're heading down an unfortunate path. Far too many new to this hobby see nothing but dollar signs when they look at a coin instead of trying to see it for what it is. Now, there's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to make a little money off of coins or this hobby, but it's simply not as easy as many assume and even more like to claim (think YouTube or any other of a number of garbage websites). If profiting is your goal, I would respectfully suggest that instead of searching through coins hoping to find one of value, you first place your efforts into learning. Knowledge is key in this hobby, and is paramount if profiting is one's goal. The more you truly know, the better your position to make the most out of any opportunities that may come your way.

That said, if collecting is the goal there's little reason to concern yourself with value when it comes to coins found in circulation, and simply because personal enjoyment is what should matter. One's hobby is supposed to be for pleasure, for their enjoyment, so what someone else may/will pay for what interests you shouldn't play any part unless you're purchasing the coins at a premium (which would again bring us back to why knowledge is so very important).

furryfrog02 likes this.
  18. zachattack

zachattack Member

The reason I ask if it is worth something, is to tell the true value of it and if it is a rare coin or not. I certainly enjoy coin roll hunting. It is really fun and I enjoy just searching through the rolls and finding out how old the coin is really. It is amazing to see coins from the past 70+ years ago. The Indian Head Penny I own still amazes me on how old it is and what is represents.

19. BooksB4Coins

Awesome! Good attitude and glad to hear it. We get lots of folks coming here with no other desire than to make money, so please forgive me for covering what may not apply to you.

Now that I know where you're coming from it's easier to make suggestions. One that comes to mind based upon the above post is that rarity and value are not automatically connected. Case in point: the 1909-S VDB Lincoln, which is quite valuable even though it is far from rare. No, you're not going to find one in circulation, but there isn't a second in any day in which hundreds are not available for sale. The reason said coin is so valuable is, quite simply, it's popularity. The fact that there is and long has been strong demand for the coin is what drives prices even though there are many other coins that are much more rare yet they do not enjoy the same high prices. When it comes to rarity, a coin's survival estimate is what matters, but perhaps I'm getting a little ahead of the game here.

Like I said earlier or in another one of your threads, now is the time to invest in learning. Fortunately you live in a time where there's an incredible amount of information so easily available at the press of a button, and will make the journey much easier on you than it was for we dinosaurs. However, just be aware that there's a lot of poor advice to outright misinformation out there, so be careful taking what you find via google as if gospel. If unsure of something or if you have questions, simply ask the board. There's a good group of guys here who will bend over backwards to help those genuinely trying to learn. Just be sure to put your thick skin on before signing in... just in case. ;)

20. Does anyone know if this is a small date

Attached Files:

21. zachattack

zachattack Member

That to me looks like a large date.
    I think that because the 2 doesn’t really have a curve to it. Just in my opinion

Draft saved Draft deleted