1982 Small Date D Copper penny?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by TXSilverStacker, Oct 21, 2018.

1. TXSilverStacker

TXSilverStacker New Member

I been meaning to join a coin forums for months now as I got into silver stacking, from there collection 90%, where I then became interested in coins in general.

I made a habit of checking all my pocket change and one day got what I believe to be a small date Denver meant copper penny. it weighs in at 3.05grams so I'm absolutely sure it's copper. What I'm not certain about is if it's small date, it appears to be so to me but I'm no expert.

I do not have a fancy camera so these I took with my phone are the best I can do, hopefully they are good enough.

1982Penny.jpg 1982Penny2.jpg 1982Penny3.jpg

alurid likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Clearly a large date. Don't need a fancy camera for that.

4. TXSilverStacker

Thanks for the quick reply.

I look like an idiot, but at least I didn't spend money getting it graded to look like an idiot.

5. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Hey at least you are admitting you didn't know what you had. Better than a lot of first time posters here who think they have this coin.
    Welcome aboard and hope you stay around. Lots to learn here :)

Stevearino and TXSilverStacker like this.
  6. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

We love to authenticate rare coins. It’s what we love. Come back with any question

TXSilverStacker likes this.
  7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Just compare to this photo to get the 2. And then weigh it.
    1982-varieties-revised.jpg

8. TXSilverStacker

Ah yes, browsing the forums I stumbled upon two other threads posted in the past few days of people thinking they had one.

Do you guys ever get tired of it?

Clawcoins and paddyman98 like this.
  9. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard TX. Stay for a full ride

10. TXSilverStacker

Yes I should have looked into it a bit more but I guess I was a bit too excited with the whole situation.

Yes I plan on it, as I said I have been into silver stacking for some time as well as collecting uncommon (though not particularly valuable) coins such as indian head pennies and the like.

11. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

@V. Kurt Bellman is just the man to answer that question.

12. TXSilverStacker

Your signature seems to be very relevant here.

CoinCorgi likes this.
  13. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

14. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

15. Michael K

There have literally been hundreds of this same post.
    No, it never gets tiring.

16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

VERY! But usually by the time I stumble into someone asking the question it has already been answered MULTIPLE times by the other members An I don't have t bother adding in a "Me too". If I happen to be the first person to see it, then I will answer it.

What gets annoying are the ones that say up front that they don't know anything about coins, and then when you break the bad news to them they have the gaul to argue with you. It can get funny (and frustrating) to watch someone with 20 minutes of Youtube numismatic education trying to tell someone with 40 to 50 years of hands on experience that they don't know what they are talking about

17. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I've stopped posting a lot too about all the repetitive lost hope posts.

What's really interesting is when newbie posters/coin collectors reject comments/ directions and hold fast to their *rare* coin being *the one* when it's obviously not.

Then you get the ones that against all advice, are going to send their *rare* coin in for grading .. but you never hear from them again.

I even have text that I copy and paste stored in a word document for various repeated questions. But that just got mundane.

18. Michael K

Well one problem, is the new people don't see the old posts /photo comparison.
    So I post the photo again so they can look at the shape of the 2.
    And then, even if it is an SD, it's going to be zinc.
    Unless it's a Philly SD in great condition, they are all pretty much .01 cent.

19. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Yes, new posters don't want to research it because they have *the one* and just want to know where to get it graded and sell it. No need to look at all the other posts with the wrong 1982D cent ... :banghead:

20. coin roll

coin roll Active Member

I had the same situation a few months back when I thought I had a 1999 wide AM. I thought I had hit the jack pot until I did a little more research and discovered I had a 1995 instead. After that I realized the hunt was more fun than trying to get rich quick.

Stevearino likes this.
  21. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Welcome to CT TX. With my failing eye sight, I find it easier to tell between large and small 1982 by looking at the top of the eight as it is much smaller than the eight in the large date.

Draft saved Draft deleted