1982 small date copper penny

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by London, Jul 24, 2017.

1. London

London New Member

i was roll hunting today, on a box of pennies. When all of a sudden i came across a 1982 penny. It has the copper sound when dropped. And appears to be a small date. However your opinions would be greatly appreciated. I dont know exactly how rare these are too if it is one, so if someone could tell me that it would be great!

Attached Files:

halfday40 and Bambam8778 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I think you might have it, Jackson. But we're going to need clearer pictures.

4. London

London New Member

Of what specifically?

5. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

We need the date sharper. Just experiment. When you catch it right, post it.

6. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

Welcome to CT!!

The distance from the 2 to the rim looks right, but not gonna say for sure until a clearer shot of the date can be shown.

7. London

London New Member

How would you reccomend i take a clearer picture? Sorry all i have is my phone and a 5x glass

8. London

London New Member

Heres the best i could do at the moment

Attached Files:

9. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

You got it. Now your 8 and 2 in particular were clogged with a little grease so they didn't strike completely sharp. It's just from the grease used to lubricate the dies, and no big deal. BTW, welcome.

MontCollector likes this.
  10. London

London New Member

Awesome! I just have one question, i know its silly. But do you know how much one of these in particular would be worth, or if they are rare at all?

11. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

It's not a silly question. Others however would know that better than I. Good eye catching it.

12. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

You have to weigh it to determine if it is copper or zinc. 3.1 grams for copper and 2.5 grams for zinc. The zinc small date is a good one as well.

13. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

That is the question always in the back of my mind as I read these kind of posts. Should I buy a new house or a cup of coffee?

14. Michael K

1982 Lincoln is the most produced coin of any coin in the US Mint's history (probably the world) at almost 17 billion. I assume most of them are Large dates, and or Denver small/ large dates. The Philly small dates carries a premium because there are less of them. It has a small value, but unless the condition is exceptional, etc.

eddiespin likes this.
  15. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

What an observation. Thanks for pointing it out.

16. Michael K

I'm still missing the 82 SD zinc. I have 6/7 I don't include the ultra rare 1982-D SD copper, because I think only 1 has been discovered?

Tyler Graton likes this.
  17. London

London New Member

Ive could probably find one for you if youd like im going through $25 worth right now

18. Michael K

I've been through 10,000+ and haven't found 1.
    I'll find one, one day. But thanks for the offer.

Had to think about it and adjust my number.
    It's around 11,300

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  19. London

London New Member

Wow! Sorry to hear

20. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

To actually answer your question...

worth=1 cent
    not rare

Tyler Graton likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted