1982-S Washington DDO FS-101 Question/Help

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Blake0725, Oct 31, 2020.

1. Blake0725

Blake0725 New Member

Hi All,

I was looking for some help. I am working on a PCGS set registry for the 1936-1998 Washington proofs which includes all the known PCGS major variety coins.

I need a 1982-S FS-101 coin but there are very few graded so the coins are selling for a premium. I decided to buy some 1982 proof sets to see if I could find one in the wild.

I purchased a box of 5 unopened proof sets still in the US Mint mailing box that was still sealed. All five of the proof sets in this box have quarters in them that have doubling of some sort. PCGS does not have close-ups of the DDO and offers no explanation of what makes up the DDO. I took pictures of a quarter from the box of five I purchased, as well as a quarter from a separate lot of proofs I purchased. If someone could provide details about the DDO and what to look for, it would be greatly appreciated. I do not have a copy of the Cherry Picker's guide and am going to purchase after this post.

In the first quarter images, it appears that the profile around the neck of Washington that there is some doubling and marks I'm not seeing on the other quarter with no doubling. Also some slight letter stretching in the motto I believe in the first quarter. I took images with indirect and direct light of both coins. Please let me know your thoughts!

Attached Files:

expat likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Danomite

Danomite What do you say uh-huh

4. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Nice photos. This is exactly why I don't collect doubling, and seldom bother to look for doubling with a scope. It's just a thing of mine; if I can't see it with my naked eye, it doesn't matter to me. I understand your desire to fill your set and wish you luck.

Draft saved Draft deleted