1982 pennys.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Chr83631, Mar 27, 2024.

1. Chr83631

Chr83631 New Member

Hello everyone I have a question for everyone that knows if I'm am learning this correctly. I'm using 1982 pennys because on the diffrent stamps and copper / zinc. Through what I have read and have took in, my understanding is the 1982d that is bigger and further from the rim is copper and the smaller 1982 that is closer is zinc? A question of mine is are the twos in 1982 diffrent from copper/zinc. Beside the size.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

just weigh them - 2.5 gram zinc, 3.1 copper

4. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Welcome to CT, let's get this out of the way...it's pennies, not pennys and the American coin is a cent, not a penny. In 1982, we transitioned from 95% copper cents to copper plated zinc cents (5% copper and referred to here sometimes as Zincolns). Additionally cents were made at Philadelphia (no mint mark), Denver (D mint mark) and San Francisco (S mint mark and proof). The Philadelphia cents have large and small dates...here's a link that might help - https://americanrarities.com/articl...ies-how-to-tell-your-coins-variety-and-value/

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  6. Mr. Numismatist

Mr. Numismatist Strawberry Token Enthusiast

There are large and small date varieties from both Denver and Philadelphia in 1982. As you know, 1982 was the transition year from bronze to copper plated zinc. The combination of changing the metal composition, two different date styles and cents being made at both mints that year, created eight different business strike Lincoln cent varieties:

• 1982 Bronze Large Date
    • 1982 Bronze Small Date
    • 1982 Zinc Large Date
    • 1982 Zinc Small Date
    • 1982-D Bronze Large Date
    • 1982-D Bronze Small Date (extremely rare)
    • 1982-D Zinc Large Date
    • 1982-D Zinc Small Date

Spark1951 likes this.
  7. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

The more widely used list only shows 7 different business strikes varieties.
    Capture+_2020-11-01-09-52-56.png

The Bronze 1982-D Small date exists but only 2 have ever been discovered. Considered flukes.

There have been thousands of posts on CoinTalk and Facebook coin pages of people that think they have found a 3rd example but have always been wrong. In my honest opinion another will never be found. Searchers have will continue to drive themselves absolutely crazy looking for it.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2024
  9. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

... And I'm still looking because I didn't win the lottery the other night. screaming.gif

10. Chr83631

Chr83631 New Member

Thanks for insight, and link. Next time I will try and word things correctly, my apologies.

11. Chr83631

Chr83631 New Member

Thanks for list, I wasn't looking for a payday it's the one cent that I read about that were diffrent in the same year and my daughter and I found more then one so that is why question was asked. It would be nice to run across #3 . Agian thanks for response and insight.

12. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

#3 and the other 6 varieties are fairly easy to be found in circulation. Over 10 billion were minted in 1982.

Draft saved Draft deleted